Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Battery Not Charging

djskylineuk

:( Hi guys my Battery does not charge at all went out and brought a new one for my MR2 Turbo but after 3 hrs of driving it went flat i would presume its the altonator, how much can i get a altonator for from the scrapyard? or any cheap places that might stock em?

if its at all possible for you... make sure its the alternator before you buy one! im not saying it isnt the alternator but given the spubik details it might be at least one other thing......... if you have rac or aa cover, it could well be worth pushing it onto road away from house unless you have homestart and getting them to come out and diagnose it for you

gl faultfinding and gl getting car back on road alright :thumbsup:

nah defo sure its alternator as i brought a new Battery and car wouldnt charge it after 2 hrs of driving starts up if i wait like another 2 hrs then dies back down iv had this problem b4 with my starlet and it was the alternator

try checking the voltage, all you need is a multimeter and a charged Battery

basically touch the meter on the Battery terminals with the car off, should be around 11-12volts

then start the car and check the terminals again, it should have upped to around 13.5-14volts if its still around 12 then indeed your alternator has kicked the bucket

try checking the voltage, all you need is a multimeter and a charged battery

basically touch the meter on the battery terminals with the car off, should be around 11-12volts

then start the car and check the terminals again, it should have upped to around 13.5-14volts if its still around 12 then indeed your alternator has kicked the bucket

I bought an alternater for mine and it set me back £145 :eek: I wouldn't bother getting a second hand one that might be the same.

We have a local company called Rotec and they lost the VAT for me otherwise it would nearly be 200 nicker.

And they are a pig to do underneath job unless you've got tiny hands and rubber fingers.

lol damn, any how toos for removing an alternator ? as it looks like its going to be a long removal procedure :eek: My Cars a J Plate Jap import Turbo, Whats bet way to remove one from the bottom car jacked up ? or from the top ?

lol damn, any how toos for removing an alternator ? as it looks like its going to be a long removal procedure :eek: My Cars a J Plate Jap import Turbo, Whats bet way to remove one from the bottom car jacked up ? or from the top ?

Like i said earlier it's mainly an underneath job make sure you've got plenty of room coz you will need it. and plenty of coins for the ''swearing'' pot. lol :D

yeh underneath so i will need to remove a few things here and there?

Is there a fusible link (big fuse type thing) in between the alternator and the Battery somewhere? Don't know about the MR2, but some cars have them and it'd be a shame to go to all the hassle of ripping the alternator out only to find its not faulty.

If it does turn out to be the alternator you can get your existing one reconditioned, which'll be a lot cheaper than forking out for a new one :) It'll probably only need a new regulator or diodes anyway, but modern alternators have them built in...

not too sure as the Battery is in the front of the car there must be a fuse somewhere in between ? has any1 come accross a fuse box for an alternator b4 i have the turbo mr2 jap import 3S-GTE Engine

not too sure as the battery is in the front of the car there must be a fuse somewhere in between ? has any1 come accross a fuse box for an alternator b4 i have the turbo mr2 jap import 3S-GTE Engine

They can only recon it if it's not a sealed unit. the one on mine was so i had to Shell out but i know there is loads of different types for the mr2 so you might be able to get it done but it still needs to come off

Right im gonna give it a shot first thing 2moro morning, right will i need to remove the subframe and the 3 main bolts holding the sub frame? i have added the pic that i took do i need to also remove the 3 main bolts(circled) holding the frame as pic shows below?

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c368/tec...tral/IMG010.jpg

hi guys just found a fuse that was blown on the front relay said ALT SENCING and was 7.5A fuse wots this for? could this be the problem why alt doesnt charge? i have changed it but i am currently charging the Battery inside as it was dead !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links