Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Thieving Scum

knowlson

Found out today that my debit card was cloned last week while I was on holiday the scumbags have manged to take £1000 from my account over the last 5 days.

The bank was cool about it as the can tell the money was taken out with a non chipped card. So I will get my money back in 10 days time.

The real gutter is that my card was cancelled so dont have one until next week.

But...

I asked the bank whats the point of the chip on the card if someone can clone the card and still take money out?

They said that when a none chipped card is used they then have a record of it and thats how they know its a clone.

I asked why if there systems show that a non chipped card is being used do they no stop the card and "let the machine eat it"

The guy on the phone said "i dont know"

Great

Oh well nothing I can do about it. I just hope who ever cloned my card gets hit by a bus only to survive to watch there familes die and when they get bannged up to have there bums streatched by mr big when they are in prison.. Fingers crossed...

Narsty dude!

i'm glad you spotted it! atleast the bank gave you your money bakc with no trouble

Nightmare!

Did you spot it or did the bank get in touch with you?

Weird how they didn't stop the withdrawels if it could be seen it wasn't a chipped card.

Oh well at least you get your money back, but i wonder who ultimately pays!

Dude, I need to give you 50% of that £1000 as we agreed ..

The bank never contacted me I tried to make an online payment and my card was refused...

That would have been fun if I went to pay for petrol this morning. I did ask why they did not contact me they say they tried to contact me at home. But cant prove if they did or not

What annoyed me most is that they let 3x£300 & 1x£100 be taken out of my account with a non chipped card. The times the money was taken out strange times 6am, 9pm ,12 midnight and 3am on different days from the same machine in ilford!!!

Chip with Pin is pretty useless if you use your card online a lot.

We definately need something akin to a public and private key system for cards so they can be a bit more secure online.

Say, you know you are going to be buying from Amazon, so you create a key based on their "unique dealer code". You give them this key which will allow them to use your CC details, and only them as it is based on your "customer" ID and their "dealer" ID.

Of course, the dealer code would need to be enforced by banking systems.

Glad your banks cool with it though!

But then, C&P is supposed to make you "feel" secure rather than "be" secure! ;)

damn it .. slipped up again ..

Anyone want a share of £50,000,000 ?

Haven't you got to divide some of that up between the security staff that were in on it? ;)

Haven't you got to divide some of that up between the security staff that were in on it? ;)

Just drafting a letter to Scotland Yard .. if they get grassed up I get to keep the lot :)

This happened to me with HSBC.... about 4 years ago at least...

The manger point blank refused to accept that a card cant be used to take monies out with MY pin being given out to someone!

There were no words that I could have used to describe him without being chucked out by security..

He said that its just not possible for someone to generate another pin number blahh blahh blahh..

Man.. im tempted to go back to the git and asked him if he will finally admit that he was WRONG..

Rant over..

Knowlson.. - Glad the bank have been good with you.. makes a pleasent change.

This happened to me with HSBC.... about 4 years ago at least...

The manger point blank refused to accept that a card cant be used to take monies out with MY pin being given out to someone!

There were no words that I could have used to describe him without being chucked out by security..

He said that its just not possible for someone to generate another pin number blahh blahh blahh..

Man.. im tempted to go back to the git and asked him if he will finally admit that he was WRONG..

Rant over..

Knowlson.. - Glad the bank have been good with you.. makes a pleasent change.

Give HSBC a call mate, Abbey my bank had a recored that a non chipped card was used and thats why they know it's a clone.

Scary....

Did you find out how they'd cloned your card, and where?

They are going to do an investigation I am not sure if they will let me know what they find out. I am waiting for my statment to come at then end of the month, I will then trace where I have been and vist the machines/shops again and see if there is anything dodgy in these places!

B)-->

QUOTE(Gareth B @ Apr 5 2006, 10:48 AM)

but i wonder who ultimately pays!

The Banks take it on the chin and pay.

This is then passed onto the customers in the form of Bank Charges, unless you stay in credit and don’t pay interest charges :angry:

Scary though how they dont bother to stop it, even though they knew it was un-chipped.... :rolleyes:

Whats scarier is how easy it is for someone to copy your card and use it, just like that! :eek:

Makes me glad I always have no money, because at least then they have none to nick! :lol:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gareth B @ Apr 5 2006, 10:48 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

but i wonder who ultimately pays!

The Banks take it on the chin and pay.

This is then passed onto the customers in the form of Bank Charges, unless you stay in credit and don’t pay interest charges :angry:

That's what I meant, we all end up paying for it one way or another!

Just got the money back into my account it worked out that the scum had taken £1400 from my account in the end!! :ffs: :ffs:

Well at least I got it back!

It's horrible but look on the bright side: all that happened to you was that £1400 did a runner from your account for a while before it came back, it could have been so much worse :thumbsup:

Dude, that is extremely lame!

Should do your own bit of investigation work ;) Catch those scum bags :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links