Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My First Toyota / My First Decent Car?

5hane

Hi

This is my first post here.

I have owned my M reg Toyota Carina E CD 1.6 for about 4 months, but either my driving skills or the car are not up to what I was expecting.

To explain, after passing my driving test 6 or 7 years ago I was desperate to get my hands on the first car I could afford and find ASAP.

I ended up buying (your going to love this), a Citroen BX 1.6 AUTO 1990.

To be honest I really enjoyed the BX, but during its last few months in my ownership the thing developed numerous leaks, not to mention I was sick of getting beaten out of every set of traffic lights and being tailgated because the thing just couldn’t keep up with the pace of modern cars.

Anyway, I was very happy to have found the Toyota, something that I hoped would be a world away from the BX, it certainly looks the business.

The Toyota Carina is my first manual car since passing my test as the BX was an automatic.

The improvements of this new car against my old BX would be the smooth driving, especially good over speed humps, and the look of the thing (at last im not driving old mans car).

What im not so impressed with is the acceleration, in fact I am really getting stressed with it.

Admittedly I am still after 4 months very rusty at using gears, but whatever I do I cannot get the thing to pull away from standing still quickly, and so I am left in a cloud of smoke by BMW’s and Ford Fiestas alike. It’s so embarrassing.

I really hope I am just doing something wrong. or have I just purchased a neat looking Toyota that is slower than my old granddad BX?

Thanks to anyone that can help me out here.

I really hope this is something I can get rectified easily

It's still an 10 year old 1.6 and a big car .. just face it, you'll not be setting the world alight at a traffic light GP.

Just be thankful you'll be able to set off on a journey and know you'll arrive. Something I could never guarentee in my citroen.

Thanks for replying.

I didn’t mean to sound like I was knocking Toyota, there are other things I like about the car compared to the BX as well as the smoothness and looks.

The fact that the thing started first time every time in the winter was something iv never been used to.

Also, it is as you say “big”, and I do love that!!, if even If I am struggling to parallel park the thing anywhere :D , maybe I need some extra refresher lessons.

Iv just booked my car in for a check-up at my fathers friends garage just In case perhaps the clutch is warn, maybe that could have an effect on acceleration?

Ill let you know what he says when I return.

Cheers

Welcome Shane :D

Sorry to hear you're a bit dissatisfied with the car, but Carina's aren't really known for performance. More comfortable family runarounds (modified ones aside).

If it's getting frustrating, might be time to swap for something more nippy (or stop racing peeps off the lights :P )? Either way, there's no point sticking with a car that isn't really 'you'. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help!

Iv just returned from the garage, and yes the clutch is fine.

I cant believe that after 4 months I am still so useless on the gears, although the chap did tell me that with my clutch I only need to slightly hold it down to change gear, where as iv been pushing it to the ground which must be why I keep revving the engine so much when changing up or down.

I’m not sure I should change cars just yet, maybe my attitude needs changing instead... I am coming up to 30 and that’s too old to be boy racing :D

I’m not sure I should change cars just yet, maybe my attitude needs changing instead... I am coming up to 30 and that’s too old to be boy racing :D

:crybaby:

:crybaby:

Awww poor Bibbsy :driving::wheelchair::laughing:

I know how you feel, I'm 30 in July :crybaby:

but hey at least we'll get cheaper car insurance :thumbsup:

I know how you feel, I'm 30 in July

but hey at least we'll get cheaper car insurance

Yeah, they say you start losing hair where you want hair and gaining hair where you don’t want hair :unsure:

Well I've got 13 months before I hit the big 30 .. so *not* looking foward to it.

You would defo beat me off the lights but not advisable as i might get upset and just drive over your car at the next set :lol:

Welcome to TOC mate :thumbsup:

You would defo beat me off the lights but not advisable as i might get upset and just drive over your car at the next set

Doubtful, ill probably be looking at your vehicle in bewildered awe and lose again.

Welcome to TOC mate

Thanks

Doubtful, ill probably be looking at your vehicle in bewildered awe and lose again.

Anything faster than a 60year old pensioner on a push bike beats me mate.

But its not about the speed and BHP its about enjoying your car.

Ive had powerful fast sports cars and TBH i much prefur my Surf over any of the cars ive had just mainly cause it comfortable and its like driving a arm chair, its not fast its not powerful but its mine

My Dad's got a P-Reg (dare I say it - Skoda) Octavia which is his "work horse", I took it out for a drive around the block and it's not the fastest of things...when you get in a Yaris after you certainly get about quicker lol but then with an older car and the weight of it too it's gonna go slower.

As long as it gets you there then good, just leave a few minutes early if you need to so you wont be late :lol:

I'd probably just have a couple of refresher lessons as it seems like your a bit rusty.

The next time your at some lights with someone who wants a peice, rev the engine a few times and when the lights change just do nothing, pull away smoothly and once at the next set look at the driver and just simply laugh!

I'd probably just have a couple of refresher lessons as it seems like your a bit rusty.

The next time your at some lights with someone who wants a peice, rev the engine a few times and when the lights change just do nothing, pull away smoothly and once at the next set look at the driver and just simply laugh!

A Sounds like good advice... thanks :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links