Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

This Better Not Come In

Kerby

just found this on another forum. cant see it comin in myself. else it will be alot of cars off the road.

why cant they take all the **** heaps off the road instead. they are the ones in need of the 'SUPER' MOT

Linky

if they try and do this, then there are a million modded cars out there. protest and close off major city routes for days. i seriously doubt this will happen but if we hear anything about it in major news coverage we need to start thinking about something, not just TOC but modded car drivers in britain.

:ffs: im beginning to hate our government and bleeding heart do gooders with a serious avengeance. I wish theyed all frick off an put their own corrupt houses in order before they carry on messin with peoples ability to have some freedom. The day is comeing where they realise they've gone too far and I hope i live to see it! :ffs:

Vive la revolution :thumbsup:

the french had the right idea....

They have been threatening this for years..... since labour got in infact ;)

Charlie is right, its something that's been discussed for a number of years now.

As I understand it, cars modified to a certain level will have to undergo an SVA test (standard SVA, not ESVA) or partial SVA to test the affected areas. Back in the late 90s, the same thing was introduced to the kit car industry - kit cars now have to pass SVA before they can be road registered. At the time there was the same reaction - it was going to kill off the industry and nobody was going to be allowed to do anything different. Fast forward the last 8 years or so and kit cars still exist. Most people involved with them would agree that they're safer and generally of a higher standard than they were before the test was introduced.

If it prevents cars from being badly modified is that such a bad thing? By badly modified I of course mean in something that could be dangerous - dodgy wiring, brake lines rubbing on the chassis or something like that rather than just in bad taste ;)

If it prevents cars from being badly modified is that such a bad thing? By badly modified I of course mean in something that could be dangerous - dodgy wiring, brake lines rubbing on the chassis or something like that rather than just in bad taste ;)

I agree with that, to a certain extent.... I mean you dont want to be driving around in a death trap, no matter how bling it looks....

I can't comment of course, my cars not modded but I can understand it'd pee a few folk off. I can understand why the reaction was lacklustre as well....

Maybe they should stop trying to nanny people? This is turning into a right nanny state - can't do that, can't eat that, can't watch this, can't drive that - everyone telling us whats right and whats wrong.... :rolleyes:

I agree with that, to a certain extent.... I mean you dont want to be driving around in a death trap, no matter how bling it looks....

I can't comment of course, my cars not modded but I can understand it'd pee a few folk off. I can understand why the reaction was lacklustre as well....

Maybe they should stop trying to nanny people? This is turning into a right nanny state - can't do that, can't eat that, can't watch this, can't drive that - everyone telling us whats right and whats wrong.... :rolleyes:

The CHAVS will be crying into there fake gold chains..... How will they cope with one exhaust and not six on there saxo's and corsa's.... :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

How about actually testing cars properly at MOT time ..

So getting cars wil dodgy suspension etc off the road.

yeah but what about us that have decent modded cars, and have spent thousands of pounds. The DVLA regulations are not about just a "super" mot but also about outlawing suspension kits, steering wheels, aftermarket seats, things like that. If this comes in they will have a **** storm on there hands.

What a load of crap. There basically saying the MOT now is a waste of time

As long as the kit is sound and legal, there will be no issues ..

Not a hatchback with cut springs, bodyfiller bodykit and 19" wheels with spinners ..

That article is a bit vague! I cant see why they would want to do it or what it would acheive. This will never happen.

Wait for the "Momo Tax" ..

Ohh, sparco pedals .. extra £10 on your tax ;)

The fact that modified means higher insurance - which they tax at 10%.

Would mean they'd lose money if no-one modded their cars ..

I also think that if the MOT Testing stations were a bit tougher then that would help.

Last time round there was talk of every single modification having to be type homologated.... i.e. every front bumper would have to be crash tested etc etc :lol:

Laws on styling don't really bother me.. but if they started ruling out engine mods and chassis mods I would be none too pleased!!!!

Out of interestet, whena law like this comes in, surely they can;t say that cars modified previous to this law have to be reverted......???

My car was ESVA'ed .. and it hasn't been modded since ..

Honest .. ;)

F**k that... isn't it usually the type of ppl that mod their cars who are the ones that actually give a s**t if they're working as they should (and better)??

Just another way for them to make our lives hell and reduce the fun of driving even more.. as if it isn't bad enough to 'have 'to' drive pretty much everywhere at 30 mph...??

*screams VERY loudly*

bring it on... ill just look after my car even better to make it pass, no skin of my teeth. ill own a modded car for as long as i want, regardless of what crap the DVLA and Gov pull out their reamed sphincters :)

Last time round there was talk of every single modification having to be type homologated.... i.e. every front bumper would have to be crash tested etc etc :lol:

Just scare mongering as far as I know, the SVA test isn't that strict on a lot of things (ie chassis doesn't have to pass stiffness tests as per Australia, not every single item has to have TUV approval like in Germany). Its a fairly reasonable (but strict) test to ensure the car is safe.

It checks a lot of things that the standard MOT has no need to. A standard car doesn't need the routing of its fuel and brake lines or the positions of its lights checking every year for example, they're not exactly going to move by themselves :)

F**k that... isn't it usually the type of ppl that mod their cars who are the ones that actually give a s**t if they're working as they should (and better)??

A lot of people mod their cars without really understanding what they're doing. They could inadvertently do something that makes it worse, in the belief they're making it better.

Like hte people that drop their car 90+mm in mcphearson struts and claim it will improve the handling :lol:

Exactly :yes: What is the point of this legislation? If the cars pass their MOT then they are road safe. End of :yes:

Exactly :yes: What is the point of this legislation? If the cars pass their MOT then they are road safe. End of :yes:

cor - you guys are a bit slow today...

this is the labour goverment were talking about - so the point is very clear

MONEY

its a un-tapped market - i mean, in Australia (correct me if im wrong ben) if you modify your car, you have to have it tested to prove its safe - they just want something like that so they can make more money off you..

The MOT tests things that are likely to become unsafe over time - corrosion, wear and tear on components etc. It assumes the basic design is safe and legal (as the standard car would have passed type approval or SVA to get on the road). You start messing with things and that might not be the case anymore.

Of course you could test all these things every year regardless, but that'd be very expensive for everyone.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links