Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying An Mr2

T180985

Firstly Hi! to everyone as this is my first post. I am thinking of Buying a mk2 MR2 turbo within the next couple of months and i just wondered if you guys and girls could give me some tips on what to look out for? what are common faults etc? and any info on general maintance, how often they should be serviced? Thanks!!!

Firstly, how much you wanna spend (got 4k, buy mine - LOL)

Have a look at the stickies, there is loads of info about the "revisions" of Mk2 MR2 and it'll give you an idea of the language and terms used, and what changes were made over the years.

I'd suggest an oil change ever 5k miles, and then replace stuff as it breaks/wears out.

Firstly, how much you wanna spend (got 4k, buy mine - LOL)

Have a look at the stickies, there is loads of info about the "revisions" of Mk2 MR2 and it'll give you an idea of the language and terms used, and what changes were made over the years.

I'd suggest an oil change ever 5k miles, and then replace stuff as it breaks/wears out.

well i should get about £4k for my car so i want to spend around £2.5k for the MR2 which i can get one around 91 reg i think then spend about £700 generally fixing it up a bit and will keep the rest for other things.

The older ones are starting to suffer from rust. Bottom of doors and rear arches, also the bottom of the spare wheel well.

The engines are usually good, but check for HG failure as the engine cooling is bad with the engine in the back. Generally they are oily blocks, so that's not an issue.

With modded cars, check any styling mods are not there covering shunts/bangs.

Look for a LOT of history and bills. The cars are getting into "chav" teritory. So there will be onloved dogs about which will expire due to lack of care and maintenance.

Good luck, and I'm sure a few local members wouldn't mind giving you a hand looking at some ..

Ok thanks for the info! Not to bothered about it getting into chav territory as most cars in my price range are tbh i think im going to lay off the styling and getting it looking as mint as possible then just concentrate on tuning it!

Will make sure i get copys of receipts you can usually tell who is a gd owner by the receipts the keep imo. any other info that could be of use? or even some tips on what i can get for around £700? i expect most of it will go on body repairs etc though.

Thanks again!

Well, I've been out the loop a while ..

Mine is a Rev2 with a load of styling & performance stuff. I've got an S2000 now, so flogging the MR2 as it's just sat on the drive :(

£700 would get you :

Filter : £50

Exhaust : £300

FCD & MBC : £100 (Fuel cut defender & manual boost controller)

That'll get an old car up to 250~270bhp.

With the rest get the plugs/leads/dizzy/oil etc swapped and the rest on polish :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links