Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Two Things Actually

martin_longbow

If you have not saw the thread on the pics of the cars going to the ring check it out there are some very nice cars on there. I dont think they are looking for a lot of chat on the thread, so I will say here that there are some stunning cars.

You got em looking good and I am wishing I was going now rather than later (june/july) have nice time peeps.

Leeky your Aristo looks great, I was gawping at it and noticed your brake disks. Mine were marked with the sides which points to the groves facing forwards. I had the car in bits and I am sure I never mixed mine up?

I know manufacturers are different and as long as both sides are the same it will not make any odds. What make are your disks? Mine are drilled too so that may also make a difference? Is there a consensus out there and should I be changing the direction of my holes

get your mind out of the gutter! honestly ....

disk.jpg

I don't know much about them.. but the ones i have seen, the slots and holes have always pointed forwards... maybe its a bit like directional tyres, if they are facing the wrong way, won't the push water to the centre of the hub rather than push it outwards away from the disc alltogether?

When i had grooved discs on the last car, I ran them the same way as yours are, IF you run them the opposite way they chew pads up quicker (not sure on other pros or cons of this) but some people do it.

Will check the pics now

Nick

Thanks for that, I got worried my brother had already questioned it but what does he know!

Just found this Martin.. hope it helps.

Are Brembo calipers directional?

Brembo's calipers are directional, due to the use of differential piston sizes. The leading pistons are smaller in diameter in order to combat uneven wear of the brake pads. Upon close examination of the caliper, you will find a small arrow cast in place which denotes the direction of disc rotation. Additionally, when mounted on the vehicle, the bleed screw(s) must be at the top of the caliper.

Which direction should the discs rotate?

It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the

direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the

vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

Straight

Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)

Curved vane

The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Additionally, all of Brembo's slotted discs are directional as well, regardless of the

vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest

the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first. Please see figure.

From Here

Which direction should the discs rotate?

It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

Straight

Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)

Curved vane

The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Additionally, all of Brembo's slotted discs are directional as well, regardless of the vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first.

I'm assumming this goes for all brake discs and not just Brembos.

Thats interesting in a nerdy sort of way. Should have been looking at the internal of the disk and not the external. That's will be why manufacturers are different then too.

Thanks chaps

Where are these Nurburgring ready car pics then???

Cool :thumbsup:

I can't believe my Nurbugring sticker fell off my !Removed! car!!!!!!

Maybe someone will bring you back a nice new one.. i think they should bring all of us a sticker though.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links