Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Going To Look At An Mr2!

MattTodd

Hi,

I'm off to see an MR2 tomorrow morning, so any last minute tips are more than welcome! Its a 1991 car, with a private plate, its not a T-Bar sadly, but you can't win them all! It's in metallic dark blue, with 15" Toyota alloys. The beauty of it is it hasnt been modified at all, and its been used for motorway miles. It's got 128,000 miles on it, which is higher than I would of liked, but the big positive sides are the car will be given a new MOT when I pick it up, and also comes with a 12 month warranty from the garage. It's an automatic, so I'm half pleased about that, with the exception of 6 months in a corsa, I've driven auto's since I passed my test but I also wouldnt have minded a manual again.

I'll be checking for bubbles in the oil, gunge in the oil filler cap, oil in the water, rear wings and arches as I've heard they rot, what else should I check for. I'll do water on the sunroof check, been caught out by that before! And apart from knocks from the back over bumps, (bushes i think, remember something about that), I'm not sure. See how she goes eh!

Quite excited now, hope everyones having fun at the ring, hopefully I'll get to go next year!

You have about covered it, the knocking on a mk2 is 90% of the time the drop links.

Hope you get it & like it :thumbsup:

Paul.

Well..... The oil cap tube was clean, but the inside of the cap was full of yellow sludge, so I was fairly ready to run a mile there. Standing on the drivers side, facing across the back of the car, I was looking down inside the engine bay right in the corner behind the drivers seat, and there was a small bar that ran diagonally, that was really rusty and bad looking, not sure what this was though? I didnt take it for a test drive, might go back and give it a go, I'm not sure. It fired up happily I have to admit, and ran a treat, no blue smoke or anything. I couldnt find the oil dipstick, whereabouts is it?! Didnt have a huge look I must admit, I was a bit wary about the gunge in the filler cap. Apart from that it was a tidy car, the bodywork was in good nick, and the trim / interior was all very nice. A bit suspiciously nice for a 128K car actually, drivers seat was showing no wear at all...

Matt

gunge in the cap could have been condensation though, mine used to fill up all the time and it had no trouble.

but if you want a manual then why you goin to look at an auto? take your time and view a lot, these cars can vary quite a bit and its a bit of an art to find a good un

Yeah as said before... could just be condensation around the oil filler cap... I wouldnt worry too much.. so long as there isnt loads... (but was wise to be wary..)

The fact she had no smoke and ran nicely was positive...

With the interior... the main sorts of wear on the drivers side usually comes from having the support wound all the way in.. (more stress on the leather methinks)... so might just be that... my K reg had practically pristine leather interior..

The rusty bar... not entirely sure what that is... strut brace? (lower?) mine is rusty too and needs replacing.. but Ive been told they arent that expensive...

All in all not bad hon... but deffo keep looking.. you can find even better examples about :) :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links