Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Engine Problems

F1XXX3R

This is for my mates MR2 Mk2 1990 (H), 167k N.asp. I hope you can help!

Someone gave him some oil to put in his MR2 and being in a rush he didn't check the grade. IIRC it was 15w40 or similar thickness. Before he put this oil in, the car was fine with no noticeable running problems and was very quick on acceleration. After, the car sounds like an old Fiesta... I've ridden in this motor and I know it's rapid.

Today I changed the oil and filter for him, 10w40 semi-synth GTX magnatec and Champion filter. The engine ran a little better but still has little or no power on acceleration. It seems to want to pull but something's just not right. It sounds a bit like a V8 if you get me?

Any ideas peeps!?

If we can't fix it he'll sell it to me for £100

check the plugs

if it sounds like a v8 one might be shot, and magnetec is crap, it made mine sound like diesel :!Removed!:

This is for my mates MR2 Mk2 1990 (H), 167k N.asp. I hope you can help!

Someone gave him some oil to put in his MR2 and being in a rush he didn't check the grade. IIRC it was 15w40 or similar thickness. Before he put this oil in, the car was fine with no noticeable running problems and was very quick on acceleration. After, the car sounds like an old Fiesta... I've ridden in this motor and I know it's rapid.

Today I changed the oil and filter for him, 10w40 semi-synth GTX magnatec and Champion filter. The engine ran a little better but still has little or no power on acceleration. It seems to want to pull but something's just not right. It sounds a bit like a V8 if you get me?

Any ideas peeps!?

If we can't fix it he'll sell it to me for £100

Check the oil cap doesn't leak and the dipstick seals properly. on my rev 1 turbo if you take out the dipstick or remove the oil cap whilst it's running, it runs like a bag of spanners. also check that you haven't disturbed a vacuum hose. or simply could be your distributer cap is naff anything like that.

Thanks.

I checked the plugs, they look ok, grey/white deposits. I'll probably change them to make sure. Vacuum hose is a good idea as its sounds like some kind of compression problem. I have a feeling he let it run low on oil (!) :angry:

Q1. The sump gasket looks a bit leaky - is this common?

2. Is there any kind of manual available for this model as a guide? I'm thinking of taking the head off to have a look inside to check the pistons etc.

3. What the most this might cost to fix?

Cheers!

Thanks.

I checked the plugs, they look ok, grey/white deposits. I'll probably change them to make sure. Vacuum hose is a good idea as its sounds like some kind of compression problem. I have a feeling he let it run low on oil (!) :angry:

2. Is there any kind of manual available for this model as a guide? I'm thinking of taking the head off to have a look inside to check the pistons etc.

Cheers!

Before you take the head off do a compression test, your head gasket might be naff any local garage will do this for you for a relativley small fortune. this will give you some idea whats going on internally. by the way the head is really ******* to get off. as long as you can get underneath you should be ok there are about 6-8 manifold support brackets underneath.

Thanks.

Cheers!

Before you take the head off do a compression test, your head gasket might be naff any local garage will do this for you for a relativley small fortune. this will give you some idea whats going on internally. by the way the head is really ******* to get off. as long as you can get underneath you should be ok there are about 6-8 manifold support brackets underneath and leaky sump gaskets happen on any car. apparently toyotas dont have sump gaskets from new they have like a sealant instead but you can buy gaskets for them for next to nothing. silly question but did he put the sump bung in properly?

Thanks.

Cheers!

Before you take the head off do a compression test, your head gasket might be naff any local garage will do this for you for a relativley small fortune. this will give you some idea whats going on internally. by the way the head is really ******* to get off. as long as you can get underneath you should be ok there are about 6-8 manifold support brackets underneath and leaky sump gaskets happen on any car. apparently toyotas dont have sump gaskets from new they have like a sealant instead but you can buy gaskets for them for next to nothing. silly question but did he put the sump bung in properly?

er, can I have this again? :)

Ta, I shall test it. What pressures should I expect and whats the best procedure?

I've done a HG before, but that was on my Rover Coupe (easier to get at).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links