Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Can An Automatic Trans. Be Towed 4 Wheels Down?

tray73

I have read that it can if you stop every 100 miles and run the engine for a few minutes to lube the transmission. Has anyone done this?

I have a 92 Corolla with A/T that I want to tow.

all i remember is my dads auto 4x4 one time being picked up by the RAC and having to be put on a tow truck, it was for only 10 miles. all i can help with im afraid!

someone should be along soon to provide more help

A LSD should NEVER be driven by the wheels. ONLY driven by the engine.

I don't know about an Auto. Can you put them in Neutral?

You are not meant to tow an auto more then a couple of miles TOPS.

Still you are lucky, all you need is a truck that lifts the front wheels up... RWD cars need an entire flat bed!

Surely you can just stick an auto into neutral and just tow it :unsure:

Surely you can just stick an auto into neutral and just tow it :unsure:

You would think so, but I've also heard that you should never tow an auto more than a few miles.

Paul.

when my Surf broke down the RAC asked me if it was a auto and when i told them it was they said they would send a transporter as it couldnt be towed

With our recovery company at work (well known co) they often ask if a vehicle is an Auto as they need to send out flatbeds if it is :yes: to recover them after an accident/fire.

My last car was an Auto (CVT type transmission). When I had it rocovered after having an accident (I hit a roe deer that lept out in front of me while I was driving 40 mph - it was killed instantly), the car was towed with the front wheels off the ground. Towing this car by all wheels would have caused overheating and premature failure of either the CVT belts or the main transmission bearing, even for a short distance.

From what I understand, many conventional automatics built in the 1960's were capable of being towed on four wheel, as a vital pump on the transmission was fitted to lubricate the transmission when the engine wasn't running. However, all cars built since then had this pump removed in order to keep the cost of the transmission down.

You can tow an auto supra as far as you like if you disconnect 4 bolts on the prop shaft ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links