Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Have They More Money Than Sense!

ELLIE

I am a regular eBay browser, one never knows if you happen across the odd bargain.

BUT......

........ Has anyone else noticed that some people will pay a kings ransom for lumps of rust and junk?

I'm out of touch with the price of Toyota Parts etc and not sure about the availability of some of the stuff that usually gets lost (handbook for example).

But why would some people pay more for a second hand Haynes (probably well thumbed and oil splattered) manual when they can buy new cheaper?!?

In fact, I'm so impressed with the amount of money that MR2 parts fetch, I've put my own MR2 on there to sell (abiding by club rules and not posting a link to it though).

I've seen another MR2 that I want to buy and with the bidders throwing their money about I'd thought I'd give it a whirl and see if she sells.

Anyone got any bay success stories?

Ellie

you generally won't get much for a car on eBay mate. Mine is on ther eat the moment, but more so looking for a swap for something bigger.

eBay car buyers tend to look for total bargains!

slightly OT but i sold a Nokia 7650... the first one to have the camera for 90quid :lol:

someone must have wanted a retro phone badly :lol:

Hiya Ellie,

Do you have pics of your MK1 (I'm just being nosey :) )?

I would suggest you try IMOC and MK1 clubs if you want the most for your AW11 (if that's what you're selling). I was lucky to get mine through eBay, but that's from a buyer's point of view rather than a seller. Just be wary of timewasters and tyre kickers :)

I did see a mk1 with a 20v conversion half completed on eBay that was up for about 500 quid never did see how much then ended up going for!!

There was also 4agze'd one last month that went for over 3k!!!

I did see a mk1 with a 20v conversion half completed on ebay that was up for about 500 quid never did see how much then ended up going for!!

There was also 4agze'd one last month that went for over 3k!!!

Yep, they do go for a pretty penny, but it's sad when you more often or not see these kind of cars relisted due to timewasters. So many lovely examples (including SCs) seem to go for good money on eBay, but a fraction of them actually get sold. :(

Do you have pics of your MK1 (I'm just being nosey :) )?

Ermmm I dont know how to put pictures in message, but I do have one picture of my car on my website, so if I post a link to my webpage in this message you could see it, its not a very good photo really, just a front end shot.

http://www.thevillage.karoo.net/car.htm

I've been watching the prices past few days that MK1's are getting and they range from £500 to about £1400, but the ones with a reserve dont seem to sell quite so well, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, time will tell I suppose :unsure: I've put it in the for sale section on IMOC thanks for advice though.

Yep, they do go for a pretty penny, but it's sad when you more often or not see these kind of cars relisted due to timewasters. So many lovely examples (including SCs) seem to go for good money on eBay, but a fraction of them actually get sold. :(

Oh no! Thats really instilled confidence :lol:

Ah of course!! You asked about the kit that was on it a little while back, I recognise the car now :)

I didn't mean to put a downer on your eBay listing, but just seemed to be a magnet for timewasters when I was looking. Best of luck and don't under sell your car, so keep that reserve :)

I didn't mean to put a downer on your eBay listing, but just seemed to be a magnet for timewasters when I was looking. Best of luck and don't under sell your car, so keep that reserve :)

NO worries, it didnt reach its reserve so I'm back on the trail of spares for it again, the other car would have been nice but...... anyway a mates hubby has just come back to me with a quote for doing some paintwork and it's very favourable so I'll probably keep it now and get some of its former glory restored :D

Hi Ellie,

I bought my MK1 off eBay, but only after looking at it. The seller said he would remove his listing if I gave him £500.00. I took my chances on eBay and won bidding at £280.00 B)

Since then I have spent £2.5k getting the car good for track use and restoring it and it's still not done. This is money I probably won't see back if I sold it, but the amount of fun it has given; the expense is more than justified B)

However, I will never buy another car through eBay again.

I sell some spares I might have floating about. And I buy stuff for the car that is not readily available through main dealers. Usually at a bargain

Hi Ellie,

I bought my 2000 MR2 Roadster off eBay just under a year ago from a genuinely nice guy who deals in cars on eBay and is still going (highly recommended, I'll pop his username on once I can remember if anyone's interested). I was a bit dubious at first but you can usually tell a scammer from FB, description etc. Two friends at work have also bought their cars off eBay and they were happy.

I know it's sometimes a gamble to bid a lot of money on something you (usually) haven't even driven, but that addds to the excitement, and at the end of the day if the seller or the car isn't genuine you don't hand over the dills!

I am thrilled with it and it's such a brilliant car to drive, I previously owned a Civic Type R which I LOVED, but nothing beats a convertible in the Summer!

Amy

Yep, I bought mine from eBay but sweet talked the seller to ending the listing (no bidders) so I could get a first look at it before anyone got there first. It was a win-win situation. He wanted a fairly quick sale and I was a genuine buyer.

We did have one completely wasted trip when one seller assured me his car was mint, no rust, perfect etc... pics looked good... when we travelled SEVERAL miles to see it, the :censor: car was a shed and the pics were obviously old!!

But also the other way round, I know a few sellers I encountered when searching for my MK1 had a lot of timewasters and the cars I kept my eye on kept getting re-listed due to non-payers.

I guess it's all diplomatic now as Ellie isn't selling (good on her hehe), but wanted to make sure she didn't take any rubbish from tyrekickers as eBay can be a breeding ground for them :thumbsup:

But also the other way round, I know a few sellers I encountered when searching for my MK1 had a lot of timewasters and the cars I kept my eye on kept getting re-listed due to non-payers.

I guess it's all diplomatic now as Ellie isn't selling (good on her hehe), but wanted to make sure she didn't take any rubbish from tyrekickers as eBay can be a breeding ground for them :thumbsup:

I bid on a car for spares, it wasnt road worthy, I asked bloke how much, he said £400!! I said I'd bid and see how it went. I was winning bidder at £50 right til end, then it shot up suddenly, over took my reserve of £150, when the auction ended, I got an immediate email from the bloke to say the bidder had changed his mind and I could have it. I told him to get lost. The car was back on eBay a short while later, I watched it to see what happened and a similar thing happened. On his 3rd listing he did sell it, or at least it appeared that he did as it hasnt been listed since.

I may still sell if the right price was offered, but I'm on the hunt for panels now bodyshop has given me a good quote for paintwork, so who knows eh :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links