Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Html

gordypix

How do I make text blink or Flash on the screnn???

What is the HTML command to do this?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

It won't work in most new browsers, but I always used to use the code;

<BLINK>enter text here</BLINK>

Maybe give it a go?

No, BLINK doesnt work

No it was phased out as a command because it made text hard to read. May I ask what you need it for? It's quite a no-no from a design point of view to have things like that flashing on the page, so would be interested if we could find another way of emphasising your text.

I wouldn't recommend animated GIFs either unless you can streamline them to a small size and it's absolutely essential to have flashing text, otherwise they can look just as naff. :thumbsup:

I'm just messing around in MYSPACE actually experimenting with HTML and stuff to format the page.

Okies - leave the flashing text alone then hehe. Would prolly look better in bold or just highlighted in another colour if you really want it to stand out.

If it's a header, you can use the <H1> , <H2> , <H3> , <H4> tags for emphasis. Eg <H4>Header Here</H4> :thumbsup:

Have a look at the few links .. there is a load of text formatting stuff. But As Caz mentioned, a lot of the basics were scrapped because they were, to use the technical term, "rubbish" :)

It was all okay in 1992 when I was making my first webpage .. but after that, it's all one technical.

Yeah I see what you mean bu rubbish - I was toying with the idea and a million others.

Interesting stuff is html................ :wacko:

I've been on so many "early" internet sites with animated gifs and flashing text I'm 99.9% sure I don't have epilepsy, or i'd have had a fit by now.

I'll let Caz carry on, as I'm a wanna be, she does it as a job ;)

A good way to familiarise yourself with HTML Gordy is to view the source of some websites you like. You won't always see the code behind it if they use flash / frames, but you will get used to common tags, formatting and what they do. It's how I started out. You can even pinch and experiment with a few cool elements to personalise them for your page :)

*Just don't try doing it with TOC - I've just looked and the coding behind it is enough to even make me dizzy :laughing:

Yeah dont start with forums... simple sites are best :)

http://www.webmonkey.com/ <-- the webmonkey is still a dman good resource for HTML stuff.. like the colour chart and cheat sheet (contains lots of tags)

As Caz said.. grabbing someone elses simple site.. and pulling the code to bits (deleting this... adding in that) and seeing what happens is usually pretty useful... its how I learnt too...

Self taught PHP too :P tho little more difficult as PHP pages output HTML .. so dont worry if you see a page on a site 'something.php' you'll still end up with HTML code to copy from when you 'view source' ;)

Yep, you gotta love Webmonkey! It has been around for years and is still one of the easiest and most useful resources going! :yes:

I heard blink was put in as an Easter Egg by the netscape engineers. Those crazy guys :D

Could also try htmlhelp.org for an overview of HTML and CSS.

Paul.

I heard blink was put in as an Easter Egg by the netscape engineers. Those crazy guys :D

Could also try htmlhelp.org for an overview of HTML and CSS.

Paul.

You got to worry when they do stuff like that for fun :laughing:

Worship the Monkey oh yes yes... pity they stopped doing it really... but still a fab resource ;)

I personally love the HEX colour chart :) fab! :P

oh for a job in webdesign... *sighs

I always used to use JavaScript for my groovy little flashing websites, but that was like back in the stone age or something.... can't even remember how to do it now!

As for pulling code, I'm doing that right now with a new page for our company website - totally pinched something off another site and just re-jigging it for us.... marvellous! :lol::lol:

Okies - leave the flashing text alone then hehe. Would prolly look better in bold or just highlighted in another colour if you really want it to stand out.

If it's a header, you can use the <H1> , <H2> , <H3> , <H4> tags for emphasis. Eg <H4>Header Here</H4> :thumbsup:

I don't want to be a git but you should use lower case for all html tags to be compatible with the new standards :thumbsup:

Doh! too late I was a git :lol:

I don't want to be a git but you should use lower case for all html tags to be compatible with the new standards :thumbsup:

Doh! too late I was a git :lol:

I rarely code by hand these days, so was working from memory - just tried the tags though and they work ok, lower & upper case.

Yeah they will still work, I was just being a git! :lol:

According to the standards when they brought out XHTML a few years back now they said all HTML tags had to be lower case to ensure future compatability. The XML Tags are case sensitive so they *could* if they wanted to have another tag which is <H4> in the future which means something completely different to <h4>.

All the WYSIWYG editors now do all tags in lower case but if you find an old version of Dreamweaver it used to do them all in Upper Case.

yeah its a real shame tho... because uppercase HTML tags are musch easier to see and manipulate within code...

mine tend to be a mixture at the moment.. depends how im feeling lol :P

yeah its a real shame tho... because uppercase HTML tags are musch easier to see and manipulate within code...

mine tend to be a mixture at the moment.. depends how im feeling lol :P

Exactly :)

That's why my old habits die hard because I always coded in upper case so it was easier to read from the body text... I dunno, with all these new fangled ways, it's no wonder I let Dreamweaver do all the work now :laughing:

no wonder I let Dreamweaver do all the work now :laughing:

Ahh that just takes the fun out of it!!! In uni they made us use Notepad or EditPlus!! EditPlus was cool though because it colour codes all your tags and scripting etc, i still use that at work when i'm faffing with printer and login scripts :thumbsup:

As long as you ain't using FrontPage, thats the main thing!! :rolleyes::lol:

Being Mac-based most of my life, I used SimpleText (Notepad equivalent) and BBEdit. It's funny as during that time, I always considered WYSIWYG editors to be cheating... my how that soon changed :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links