Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The War Of The Worlds

dicey2k

Hi,

Don't know if anyone is into The War Of The Worlds, but i went to see the stage version on Sunday at the MEN Arena in Manchester, and all i can say, as a fan, is that it was utterly fantastic!! They even had Richard Burton's face projected onto a massive 3D head above the stage for the narrated parts (Obviously sync'd to his voice from the original soundtrack), all computer generated but it was brill all the same!!

Jeff Wayne himself was conducting the orchestra, and Justin Hayward was in it doing his singing bits, though he was looking a little old, but still good, and Russell Watson played Nathanial!

Anyway just wanted to see if anyone else went, and what they thought? Personally if you are going to see it, its worth every penny IMO!! They all did a grand job, absolutley flawless!!! :thumbsup: :D

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said.

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one" - but still they come!

Sounds very interesting Rob - didn't even know they were doing a stage version. I grew up with that soundtrack and remember the high-pitched wawowawooo wooo noise on the main song :laughing:

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said.

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one" - but still they come!

Sounds very interesting Rob - didn't even know they were doing a stage version. I grew up with that soundtrack and remember the high-pitched wawowawooo wooo noise on the main song :laughing:

Haha yeah, me too! We had it on Vinyl, which i treasure now, its sealed in a plastic container with some other records that are worth nearly £500 a piece :-)

I have the CD version now though, but after seeing that show on sunday, the CD doesn't do it justice now!!!

The War of the Worlds Official Webby!! ;)

It's an awesome album .. great when you are mashed.

War of the worlds??? Is this the same War of the worlds that was just released as an utterly !Removed! film, that featured Tom cruise running away for two hours, hiding ina cellar, then comming out when they all keeled over and died anyway???

War of the worlds??? Is this the same War of the worlds that was just released as an utterly !Removed! film, that featured Tom cruise running away for two hours, hiding ina cellar, then comming out when they all keeled over and died anyway???

No, it's the Jeff Wayne one ..

NOT the rubbish 50's/60's one .. and not the modern 00's rubbish one.

But the soundtrack that was made for the book. There is no proper "film" for this.

and not the modern 00's rubbish one.

Though im not saying that the 00 one was good.... i really liked the beam weapons :yes::thumbsup: shame i cant have a pair on my car for dealing with fellow morons :D

and i also liked the bridge destruction... was pretty oooOOOOooo :)

the double record was cool tho... still got mine also ;) got it for xmas when i was lil

Me mum had it and played it constantly when I was a little sprog... Used to scare me ****less... Might explain a few thing! ;)

God no! This is the proper Jeff Wayne one which was a musical rendition of the original H.G Wells version! The Cruise film had Sweet FA to do with the original version!

It scared a load of americans too, when the original text was read out on radio, it started out like a news broadcast, and people who had just tuned in didn't realise it was fiction and it caused a panic!!

Nah Jeff Wayne's is the best version in my opinion, and there's come great effects in the stage musical too, the giant model of the martian fighting machine which decends from above the orchestra was really good, it had a camera mounted on the bottom which was filming the audience during the break in the acts!!! :lol:

I like the soundtrack.. absolutely brilliant.

I have a modern version of Justin Haywards Forever Autumn, classic song, the original is the best though.

Rich has the War of the Worlds music on his MP3 player - he loves it, thinks its the best thing since sliced bread - I dont get it myself...

But he loved the old film, so maybe the musical is an idea for his birthday present! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeh my friend at wotk went to see this too and she said the same as you. In fact she has been ranting about it for days.

My big bro scared me as a kid with the original sound track

Must admit the stage show sounds great :thumbsup:

Ah yes, I remember it well. Almost wore out the record when it came out. :P

The radio play was by Orson Welles and his Mercury Theater and was first broadcast in 1938. If anyone's interested, they can download it and many other plays here.

There's also a recording of a meeting between Orson Welles and "War Of The Worlds" author, H.G. Wells.

The new version with Tom cruise is an insult - I was excited when it came out and I saw it and was real dissapointed :( Hollywood should have done a much better job, but then it is Hollywood!!!

was and still is a classic album also got it on record and cd

I have the original Jeff Wayne soundtrack on vinyl with David essex playing Nathaniel.

The album has a large size picture booklet in it with some haunting illustrations.

I also have it on cassette...................but sadly not on CD so cannot listen to it in the car :(

Its a terrific soundtrack :thumbsup:

It really is!! All of you should go and see the stage musical if you get chance, its great, i can't go on enough about how good it was!

The DVD is being filmed later in the year when they appear at Wembley, i'll get a copy of course but i doubt it will do the live version justice somehow! :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links