Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ipod Generation

Bibbs

Just asking because the 3G iPod only charges over Firewire (they brought in USB charging with the 4G or clickwheel iPod), but it can transfer data over either USB or Firewire (but don't connect both cables at the same time, this could do damage apparently). If you don't have a firewire charger, either charge via your PC/MAC over firewire or shell out an a new charger (not sure how easy these are to find, as most adaptors I see these days are the USB flavour)

If you have an Alpine headunit, they do an add-on that provides a full interface with your iPod. Just plug your iPod in using the docking cable and you'll have full control via the headunit.

My charger is a generic, unbranded one.

I don't have a firewire charger .. I don't have it on my PC/Laptop either.

I'll wait for the Alpine adaptor unit to arrive and see if that charges.

Trick - If it ever freezes, press and hold down both PLAY & PAUSE buttons to make it reboot.

I've only got one play/pause button ..

(|<<) (menu) (>||) (>>|)

then the big circle in the middle ..

**Edit

Just did it with the (menu) and (>||) buttons.

'select' and 'menu' for 10 seconds thats how to reboot it!!! &#33;Removed&#33; hell Caz SR go to bed :lol:

I did say I'd just got back from a Curry - At that point was falling asleep at my desk. Not good. :laughing:

Ben, I've found the ultimate accessory for your ipod, it's a must have for you...

juicy-couture-ipod-case-blue.jpg (the case that is, not the rear) :laughing:

Erm, yeah .. thanks.

(I think you've been hanging out with Lee FAR too long - not all blokes like the same things)

So, who's got an newer iPod that can charge via USB, who wants to swap chargers? ..

So, who's got an newer iPod that can charge via USB, who wants to swap chargers? ..

Yours can charge via USB if you buy the cable. What do you mean? You don't need the dock necessarily, you can just use the cable. I charge mine that way as I found the mains plug to be a bit pants.

Yours can charge via USB if you buy the cable. What do you mean? You don't need the dock necessarily, you can just use the cable. I charge mine that way as I found the mains plug to be a bit pants.

I have a USB cable, and a 240v plug with a USB hole.

The 3G can't charge via USB .. only via firewire.

So I need to buy a firewire card for my laptop, an iPod firewire cable, and a 240v plug with firewire hole.

I have a USB cable, and a 240v plug with a USB hole.

The 3G can't charge via USB .. only via firewire.

So I need to buy a firewire card for my laptop, an iPod firewire cable, and a 240v plug with firewire hole.

Oh right, ok.

Oh right, ok.

Tee Hee, damn this technology..

Oh right, ok.

Tee Hee, damn this technology..

It's weird though, because when I plug mine in direct to the USB and I turn it off with the computer on, the charging screen comes up. Yet I've just looked around and everyone's saying it won't charge via USB. Mmm... My iPod must be lying to me.

Yours a 3G too?

Yup :yes:

That's why I always thought you could charge via USB, not using the dock, as long as it had decent supply (not from the keyboard ports). I can't figure out why I get that screen if that's the case. I shouldn't imagine it's any different because it's running from an iMac - pod forums seem to say it won't charge on either with USB but this is the first I've heard of it. Oh well...

D'oh, wanna swap :lol:

Well, mine doesn't, and reading a lot of google posts, loads of others don't.

D'oh, wanna swap :lol:

Well, mine doesn't, and reading a lot of google posts, loads of others don't.

Yeah - gawd knows what's going on. I very much doubt mine's an exception to everyone else's, so perhaps it's just some kind of default screen. At the moment, it's nothing more than an expensive paper weight though. Not used it for months.

Someone mentioned the iTrip - I have one of those and bought it close to when they were released. They were quite cool then, but not so much now as you'll be hard-pushed to find a good empty frequency in most areas these days. Mine used to be 88.6FM - but it got taken over by another station and I just couldn't find a good enough alternative. I also bought the next one up, which charges from the cigarette lighter and broadcasts a stronger frequency. Again, quite nifty except the part which plugged in to the lighter wasn't snug so the thing would wobble around a bit. I really don't think there is a good substitute for a direct port to be honest.

Well the reason I got it was to just tuck my tunes away on a 40GB storage, and then be able to play them via my headunit.

I'm not fussed about what it is, or how it does it. But MP3 CD's are all well and good, but in the S2000 the HU is hidden, it's a PITA to change CD's when driving (the flap over the HU comes down next to the gearstick) and I've got all the dash controld next to the wheel so I never need to see the HU.

The USB cable that you use to transfer songs automatically charges the IPOD. They used to supply chargers with Ipod but when I got my latest it appears they dont supply them anymore, meaning the only way of charging is through the USB.

88.1 is good from Manchester to London without having to change. The older Itrips only had 4 options of frequencys but the one I bought last month is digital so it gives you alot more options.

The USB cable that you use to transfer songs automatically charges the IPOD. They used to supply chargers with Ipod but when I got my latest it appears they dont supply them anymore, meaning the only way of charging is through the USB.

Not apparently 3G and before .. the USB *doesn't* charge them.

I'll wait for the Alpine adaptor unit to arrive and see if that charges.

If it's anything like my Dension IceLink then it should charge just fine.

If you need a manual for your iPod you can get yours here: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPodDockC...orUserGuide.PDF (this is a direct link to the pdf manual).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links