Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clicking Rear Diff

Leeky

Hey peeps, need some opinions please.

Went to the pub at the weekend and parked in a space. When i got out i realised my front wheels were at the edge of the space where there was a small drop onto the grass (about 1-2inches drop). Anyway i thought i'd better not leave it like that as it wont do the tyres much good.

So i got back in, started up and took off the parking brake which caused the car to roll forwards a bit in park and down into this little dip and as it did that we heard a kinda clicking knocking sound coming from the rear which i can assume could only be the diff.

Anyway i didnt like the sound of it but the car drove as normal home.

So i went out last night to get some cash and noticed when parking up that when going from reverse into drive i get a similar clicking/knocking sound from the rear of the car now :wacko:

Seems ok going into reverse but does it going into drive. Thing is if i've knackered the diff i can just buy another one.

But im worried about what might happen 'if' it broke and i was traveling down the motorway for example :unsure:

Any one know?

cheers

I'm sure we saw something shiny come off your car on the way back from Henley last night... :o

Something rolled into Bens car when we were driving behind you, not sure if it was already in the road or came off your car?

Yeah dude, it was a big silver circlip type thing .. just after the Tesco roundabout ..

I've had diff troubles this weekend too .. (tee hee) .. but that's *nothing* to do with cars.

Yeah something hit the side of my car on the way home, i dunno what it was but its scratched the top of the new door i've just fitted :censor:

Whatever it was it didnt come off my car.

a big silver circlip ? you mean something like a jubilee clip?

Yeah dude, it was a big silver circlip type thing .. just after the Tesco roundabout ..

:censor: knows what it was, but it made a big bang on the passenger side, that's for sure. Prolly flew off or got kicked up by the POS we were following most of the way :(

If it helps anyone, the problem noise sounds like a single loud 'CLUNK' from the driver's rear wheel. It's the only place I could really pin-point it whilst stood outside the car when Lee was coming out of reverse and into drive / visa versa.

i has that sound on the sx and it turned out to be the monkeys who fited the tyres u gave me didnt put the wheel back on and it broke a wheel stud

I get it all the time, its usually gravel in the tyre treads!!! (Shock horror, Charlie, with tyres wth tread on them :D

Diffs should be easily avliable Lee!!!, but you will probably find its something else!!!!

Nah i hate to say it but its not something so simple as that :( When the car fell forward into the dip the rear kinda got dragged in while it was still in park :wacko:

You know how the car rolls forward onto the cogs inside the gearbox when in park? well imagine doing that on a hill :wacko: you have the full weight of the car pushing against the gearbox.

Thats what happened and im worried the force of the car rolling forward into the dip against the will of the gearbox has knackered something :unsure:

Have you checked the backlash in the diff? ;)

Whats that Les? or is there a joke there that im just not getting? :lol: ;)

Have you checked the backlash in the diff? ;)

Whats that Les? or is there a joke there that im just not getting? :lol: ;)

No not a joke.

Backlash is the wear that takes place on the crown wheel & pinnion, excess wear on these causes a heavy clunk on acceleration or deceleration (noise can be transmitted along the driveshafts making it seem like the wheels are at fault)

It's easy enough to check, leave the car in neutral with the handbrake on and twist the propshaft one way then the other, you will know straight away if it has too much play and you will feel the clunk each time it meshes on the crown & pinion :thumbsup:

Yep backlash, measure the amount of free play in the diff, like jack it up and turn the wheels while holding the diff, and do it the other way around. You get specifications for maximum allowable.

Throughly check the prop shaft, they often have a donought coupling of some type, it is virtually a rubber ring that is used to join the greabox to the prop shaft, designed to take all the wear and be easily replaced. I had an old Granada that did one every three months.

Finally try the harvey splicers and knuckle joint in the prop shaft, no not kidding and these are all real names. They are the swivel points on the prop shaft. If the prop shaft is in two main sections and bolts onto the floor about half way this is the knuckle joint, (centre bearing, prop shaft mounting bearing), and is also designed to take the wear. Short one piece props are not always attached to the bottom of the car but at the length of the Aristo it is probably a two piece prop secured by the knuckle joint. If taking that off be cautious, normally under the lugs there are tapered washers, just note the positioning.

I would get the car jacked up and check for something visable and check for free play (backlash). If nothing obvious I would get the prop off and check it for play and do the same with the diff, should be more informative when separated. There is normally a cover on the diff which is removable to allow you inspect the teeth, see if any are broken before you start looking for replacements. Normally need a new gasket, or instant gasket & oil to replace the diff cover but worth it to have a look.

Cheers guys, to be honest im gonna forget about it.

I moved the car last night and it didnt make the sound.

If it aint broke dont fix it :lol: I'll see how i get on with it :thumbsup:

Cheers guys, to be honest im gonna forget about it.

I moved the car last night and it didnt make the sound.

If it aint broke dont fix it :lol: I'll see how i get on with it :thumbsup:

LOl refrained from telling you that !!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links