Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

This Blag Email

Kev Mc

Any1 know what it is? I'm usually on the ball about downloading stuff from emails but as it appeared to be from TOC I let my guard down & downloaded the file, it wasn't until afterwards that I heard it wasn't from TOC & could have been some kind of trojan. It's on my computer in work now, is it anything major?

Yes mate.. You need to get anti virus software stright away mate.

Also Do not log into banking or anything sensitive until you have cleaned your machine.

Have you updated and ran your anti-virus?

I'd run everything you have mate, anti-spyware, anti-adware, everything....

Unless anyone can update on the sort of trojan it was and if it's something vicious?

(I didnt get any emails from TOC, so I know I'm clean!)

Also.. log into a diff machine and change any passwords until cleaned.

Turns out the Norton on my machine has just expired ( :censor: typical) but I phoned the company who we're on a maintenance scheme with & they're going to phone me back. We're on a network, any idea if it would it affect that? I haven't signed into anything since I heard & haven't opened files that majorly important so if it stays on my machine & doesn't affect the network/shared files it shouldn't cause too many problems.

Oh yeah, & when you say "any passwords" are you talking the 1 I used to get onto the network or all the 1s for websites or literally all of them?

If the trojan is active on the machine then its leaving it open for 'worse' things to happen.

So you need to disconnect the machine from the network, virus scan, windows updates, adware scan - the lot!

If you can it would be best to scan any machines connected to the same system.

i got an email from les - saying there was dodgy email floating around, i assume the one from les is ok? im totally crap with things like this, i dont know whats spam and whats genuine

Kev, I got the same email, I think. When you say 'downloaded the file' what did you do exactly?

i got an email from les - saying there was dodgy email floating around, i assume the one from les is ok? im totally crap with things like this, i dont know whats spam and whats genuine

My machine is hunkey dorey and the mail I sent was genuine (and clean) :thumbsup:

Yeah, we all passed emails round to everyone we knew on TOC to warn them.... anything from Me, Les (and whoever else sent anything) was clean... :thumbsup:

Stupid IE :P

Firefox is the way forward! hehehehe *snigger...

Ive been at work... seems I missed the fun :P oh well my PCs are clean :)

Kev, I got the same email, I think. When you say 'downloaded the file' what did you do exactly?

I had TOC open at the same time as I was looking through my emails, I looked at a few including the dodgy 1 & installed the file that was on it then a little bit later when I clicked the window with TOC on it had some weird screen (I actually did a screen dump of it in case it could have helped Steve find out what the problem was) & didn't think much of it (I hadn't thought the email might have caused a problem at this point), then I was on Forum Anything & Les posted in the shoutbox about this email going around which is when I realised I'd :censor: up by not being on the ball.

My computer was working fine but I phoned the computer people who said some1 would phone me back but it was quite late in the day so they mustn't have had chance. Hopefully tomorrow they'll come in & get rid of it & scan all the computers & that.

Up the Firefox Massive! :thumbsup:

Although I doubt Firefox would have saved us had we got the email JJ.... its strange some of us were missed off though - maybe it only sent to select people??

I blooming downloaded it too :mad:

I realised what it was as soon as I got the silly warning message and scanned with everything I possibly could. It got picked up and declared as removed, so here's hoping...

I can't believe I made such a stupid, amateurish mistake - its just that it was such a trusted source and I'd PM'd Steve about 20 minutes before, so I thought it was a reply to my PM.

:ffs:

A

Cheers for that, Kev. I got the email with a URL ending in .exe but no actual file to download. Weird, eh? Anyway, this thing is protected like the crown jewels. Looks like I was lucky. Scan reports nothing. The number of emails I get from TOC and I missed the fact that this one wasn't genuine. Feeling a bit dumb at the moment (no comments needed. thank you! :P )

Although I doubt Firefox would have saved us had we got the email JJ.... its strange some of us were missed off though - maybe it only sent to select people??

By Browsing TOC with IE you got one virus... Hence Firefox users wouldnt have got it :)

The email thing was a separate one.. :P 2 hits if you like.... but then again anyone who clicks on a .exe link without some serious verification is asking for trouble really.. especially with all the virus action that goes about these days...

Sorry if that seems harsh.. but the amount of virii that go about these days... some even through MSN pretending that it is one of your contacts sending you a link... people need to be extra vigilent ... even if it was an email from TOC... (most announcements of new 'Tools' is done by Steve on the forum itself anyways...)

But a word to -anyone- who perhaps considers themselves a little less PC literate..

File types to avoid (unless you can confirm what they are from the person who sent them) are .exe (executable ie.. files that will run like a program) and .zip files. Other filetypes can be bad.. but those two are generally the big boys...

:thumbsup:

So, I was saved by Firefox? Yay! :clap:

Yes, I'm going to be extra careful from now on (famous last words!).

Well, at least i got saved from one by Firefox...

As I said, normally I'm really careful, but this one just came when I was expecting a message from Steve anyhow :(

A

Stuff happens though guys.... lets not dwell on it and hope everyones PC's turn out fine - even I almost dropped my guard the other day - it happens to the best of us! ;)

anyone who clicks on a .exe link without some serious verification is asking for trouble really.. especially with all the virus action that goes about these days...

You're absolutely right, I never open anything unless I'm certain I know who it's from & roughly what it is & whenever I see an executable file it always sets the alarm bells ringing but I let my guard down for a few seconds today & now I'm going to have to suffer because of it so hopefully a few people will learn a lesson from my mistake.

Let me get this clear though, out of 28000 people, was I the only 1 who got suckered in?

File types to avoid (unless you can confirm what they are from the person who sent them) are .exe (executable ie.. files that will run like a program) and .zip files. Other filetypes can be bad.. but those two are generally the big boys...

:thumbsup:

Another major group of file types to avoid are picture files.. .jpg - .jpeg - .bmp etc etc.. especially if the file size is unusually large (possibly over 2mb.)

Could have been worse.. could have been this.....

irish.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

yes.. virii can be stored in images too... but generally only get run if opened in IE... or anything that uses IE for HTML rendering (eg outlook)

but pmsl at that particular one Davy :P

Let me get this clear though, out of 28000 people, was I the only 1 who got suckered in?

No... :censor: :crybaby:

No... :censor: :crybaby:

Not everybody got an email :rolleyes: !

I wonder why it emailed you guys and not others - it wasn't alphabetical else I would have got it, and it wasn't just gold members either.

Plus was it just people with a yaris?

:lol::lol:

What thread/post did you visit/view or was it just the TOC homepage with the script?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links