Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cat Tests For Cars Over 92

Leeky

Righto we all know that vehicles produced after a certain month (cant remember which one) in the year 1992 need to have a cat to pass their mot's.

I have also heard that imported vehicles which dont appear on the MOT centres database are not subject to a cat test even if they are produced after 1992.

Does anyone know anything more about this?

The thing is im pretty sure that mot centres arent going to have my aristo on their system. And they cant test it as a lexus gs300 as they arent the same engine.

Im hoping that because of this i can decat it and it will still pass its mot because of this loop hole.

Anyone?

:thumbsup:

Dunno if this will help? MOT Cat-Test Diagram

There is a MOT loophole which allows Japanese Imports with no direct UK equivalent combination of engine and Chassis be tested as a non-cat test.

:)

The official cut off point is august '92 (i.e. anything before "K" plate), that said I pleeded that my supra was "late registered" and they let it go anyway :D

As for "unregisterd imports" I am not sure, as both my soarers were J plates!!!!

Thanks for the Chart hun :thumbsup:

According to that i am able to pass a mot without cats as long as my car is no newer that 31st July 1995.

Im going to have to find out the manufacture date of my car. Im pretty sure its a June 95 on M :D

Bye Bye Cats! Hello 400+bhp :D :lol:

Bye Bye Cats! Hello 400+bhp :D :lol:

...Oh no... what have I done?! :laughing:

:lol:

They only get old and smell eggy anyhow. The 2jz can make an amazing 100bhp jump in power when both cats are removed and the exhaust flows enough. If i can get away with it 'legally' then im gonna do it :D

You'd have to tell the insurance company as it's a power mod that adds more than 5bhp

You'd have to tell the insurance company as it's a power mod that adds more than 5bhp

Yep, i'll tell em just to be on the safe side. But to be honest my insurance company probably couldnt tell the difference anyway ( i mean if it had cats as standard or not). I dont think they even realise its a twin turbo. They probabaly think its na :rolleyes:

I have a 94 Jap import , full stainless exhaust no cat and i passed my MOT on thursday , no problems !!! I was quite worried that would fail it but :D apparantly not

Bye Bye Cats, Bye Bye turbo seals :P

Still it'll shift!!!!! :thumbsup:

Bye Bye Cats, Bye Bye turbo seals :P

Still it'll shift!!!!! :thumbsup:

I'll have to put a 2.5" restrictor on it dude as its got the crappy JDM wastegates. The restrictor should make life easier on the turbo seals.

Sweet...

Cats are a restriction at the best of times, ten year old cats doubly so!!!!

Its going to be rapid :D

Ok so i've done a bit of hunting around the VOSA and DVLA websites and i've confirmed everything. So i thought i'd do a summary of how things stand to make things clear to others reading this.

Cars manufactured up to July 31st 1992 do not need a cat to pass their MOT.

Imported cars manufactured up to July 31st 1995 do not need a cat to pass their MOT IF they do not have a directly compareable UK model.

So anything like an MR2 Turbo mk2, non turbo Supra mk4, Soarer, Aristo Twin Turbo etc can legally pass their MOT's without cats as long as they were manufactured no later than the 31st of July 1995.

Hope this helps other people, im off now to look at decats pipes :lol: ;)

The official cut off point is august '92 (i.e. anything before "K" plate), that said I pleeded that my supra was "late registered" and they let it go anyway :D

As for "unregisterd imports" I am not sure, as both my soarers were J plates!!!!

damn n blast.. !Removed! K plate mutter mutter mutter.... December 1992.. mutter mutter... !Removed! cat mutter...

hehe :D

When I took our toy for her mot the computer database said ours had a cat :eek:

had to show the log book to show it did not come with one :censor:

cats suck! :yucky:

mind you mine passes with flying colours without one... :P

but its a 94 inport as lee said!

awesome

and i don care about the environment :lol:

So anything like an MR2 Turbo mk2, non turbo Supra mk4, Soarer, Aristo Twin Turbo etc can legally pass their MOT's without cats as long as they were manufactured no later than the 31st of July 1995.

I don't think there are going to be many trees left in Reading at this rate :D

Paul.

I don't think there are going to be many trees left in Reading at this rate :D

Paul.

Gonna join me paul and decat your soarer? :D :lol: Decats alone will see you to about 350bhp :yes:

Gonna join me paul and decat your soarer? :D :lol: Decats alone will see you to about 350bhp :yes:

I think it needs new turbos first. Then with more boost and a fuel controller it will see 330-340 ok. There was a guy from TIF doing 13.5 at Bruntingthorpe the other week with that set up.

The problem is ... I've made a small blunder ... this car is just too nice to mod! It even has a button for automatically retracting the wing mirrors! Everything---apart from the dash :D ---seems to work. If I had a tatty one which wasn't the limited edition I'd want to do this :lol:

Paul.

The problem is ... I've made a small blunder ... this car is just too nice to mod!

Bahhh, get rid of those nasty cats ;) You dont need them to pass your MOT, they reduce your power, they weigh a lot and they smell when they are old :sick:

The Megan Decat pipe i got for my Supra tt was only £60 brand new off eBay. Im hoping i can get the same pipe again for the aristo. Im pretty sure they make one for the soarer too.

£60 for an extra 50-100bhp isnt a bad little mod to me :D :lol:

Whats wrong with your turbos btw? why you need to change em?

Whats wrong with your turbos btw? why you need to change em?

They are ceramic. If I decat, I think that will increase the rotational speed of the turbos. I don't want them going pop, which is not uncommon on Soarers apparently.

Plus I still remember driving in convoy behind your Supra ... I had to close the airvents in order to avoid asphyxiation :D

Paul.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links