Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dilemma! What Should I Do?

ELLIE

Hi All - Your help and advice is needed.

OK, here we go.

I advertised my car for sale on the Mk1 owners site, I had some interested parties and one in particular seems red hot to buy it .... BUT .... (there's always a but isnt there), this guy is from overseas, he has emailed me indicating that he buys cars for other people, from his emails he says he's genuine, he provided an address with his first email, which on the country's telephone directory on the internet, checks out.

He's offered a bankers draft in sterling that he will send to clear before the arranged pick up takes place (he hasnt seen the car only the photo's I've sent and my description).

Does this sound too good to be true? Before I send personal address details, I thought I'd get some opinions.

So what do you all think?

Am I being over cautious?

Why would someone overseas want to spend money on ferries and stuff transporting the car back?

The cars OK, needs rear arches doing (dont they all!) I'm just really unsure what to do and wondered if anyone has any thoughts. I can be more specific with the details out of the public area should any wish to know more.

Thanks for reading,

posted elsewhere sorry if your reading this twice,

Ellie.

Ellie,

I'm sorry but im going to be very pessemistic about this overseas offer! I would always be cautious about anyone buying an older car and going to the trouble of getting it from abroad. I know how tempting it must be but I cannot help but think its just another angle on the Bankers Draft scam. Especially as he is buying it for another person.

I wouldnt if I were you and I hope that helps. Id wait for a genuine UK buyer who you can meet and physically swap money for keys with

Alex

there used be a scam offering exactly what you have just described, would be very, very careful...

I wouldn't go for it Ellie, if you wait there will be a buyer in the UK for it. Even if this overseas guy is totally genuine, do you really want the hassle whilst it's all being arranged? :)

Tell him to do a bank transfer (where they drop the money straight in). Or turn up at your door with cash ;)

Tell him to do a bank transfer (where they drop the money straight in). Or turn up at your door with cash ;)

That'd do it. :yes:

It could well be genuine but not worth the worry IMO.

I wouldn't go for it Ellie, if you wait there will be a buyer in the UK for it. Even if this overseas guy is totally genuine, do you really want the hassle whilst it's all being arranged? :)

But to do this wouldnt I have to give him my bank details? This was one of my main concerns, I've never done anything of this nature before and wouldnt know how to go about it or how to safeguard myself?

Fair point. Why not ask your bank for advice? That's what they are there for when not trying to get more money out of you.

Avoid selling to people abroad.

All sorts can go wrong - not only in money matters.

Unless this person is an avid user or prooven member of an affiliated MR2 club, ignor them.

You can't do anything but pay in, if you have an acc # and sort code. You need moer to withdraw money.

Tell them to add a %age and PayPal you ..

You can't do anything but pay in, if you have an acc # and sort code. You need moer to withdraw money.

Tell them to add a %age and PayPal you ..

paypal are right A holes, dont use them either. scammy it sounds yes. as him to special delivery cash :P but even then bank it before anything happens just incase the cotton is dodgy :D

and open a new account, put the money in, take it out and put it into a proper account, close the new account ;)

and open a new account, put the money in, take it out and put it into a proper account, close the new account ;)

im thinking that you mean a bank account? because if you do open a new bank account basic one with no O/D then that could be safely done, i mean whats the point in him having the accoutn details of an account that has closed or has no cash in?

but please dont do paypal, absolute A holes they are, useful only for buying stuff under 100 quid.

The reason I say open a new account and then close it .. if the money goes through (bankers draft for example), and you then get it in cash and close the account, and the money is later found to be fraudulent, how can they get it back?

An update ........

First the important stuff.

Bankers draft.

Clears in around 5 working days. However, they are not guaranteed. If a money order (or bankers draft) is found to be fraudulent then the bank WILL debit your account. My bank tells me that the safest way is bank transfer (wiring as its more commonly known). The scammer can have your bank details, including sort code, account number, account name and IBAN number but there isnt a lot they can do with it. My bank has assured me that even with these details the scammer can do little more than transfer money INTO your account. To do this they must go into their bank and sign in person for the money to be transferred, once there its yours (for keeps).

The test.

I sent my details to the guy who claimed he wanted to buy the car, telling him exactly how I wanted payment, and guess what.....yup, never responded.

The scammer was:

JOHN FOURNIER [john_fournier777@yahoo.co.uk], FIER SHOWROOM HOUSE, 31 AVENUE DU PLATIN, 17420 ST PALAIS S/MER, FRANCE.

This guy (if that was really who he was) did check out on the white pages at this address. His first email was just like what an interested party would have sent, please take care, this scammer contacted me via an advert I placed on a for sale section on one of the club sites.

Thank you all for your responses, very much appreciated.

Ellie

Thanks for the update Ellie and I'm glad it hasn't gone ahead. You'll find a buyer soon enough :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links