Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pop-up Prob

J&A

I used to own an 86 AW11 rev.A. On that car the headlight control was great; moving the switch 1 click turned on the bumper-mounted sidelights. One more click raised & illuminated the headlights, and one final turn of the switch left the headlights raised but extinguished the bulbs.

Unfortunately my rev.A died recently- a leaky screen seal rotted the floorpan- so I now have an '88 rev.B, and whilst many aspects are an improvement on the earlier revision the lighting arrangement do get on my threepenny bits somewhat. Now, turning the sidelights on also raises and powers the main lights, albeit in "Dim-Dip" mode. To my mind all this achieves is an acceleration in the build-up of crud on the lenses and is totally superfluous, which leads on to my question. Does anyone have access to the info that would allow me to convert the lights on my Rev.B to Rev.A behaviour? I seem to remember that someone was selling kits for this very conversion, although it was probably a few years ago now. I'm not too shabby with a soldering iron so if someone could give me the basic info I'm sure I could achieve my goal without too much hassle. Any feedback welcome.

Thanks in advance.

jon

Welcome Jon :)

I've had thoughts about this myself with my '88. I'm not sure if anyone here has actually done it (Garrick may clarify) but you'll get lots of info over on the MK1 MR2 Club on IMOC.

I'd be interested to know if you find out :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Jon, I have just found this over on the MK1 Club Forums I hope it helps;

MK1 Headlight Modification

Caz :thumbsup:

That's great, thanks a lot. Incidentally, the author of the aforementioned mod has come up with an improved version, which can be found at:

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jimilawson/Vari...ight%20mod2.htm

My missus is on her way to Maplins as we speak java script:emoticon(':rolleyes:', 'smid_16')

:rolleyes:

Only just picked up on this...

Just to confirm what you have probably found on the MK1 Club site:

The MK1a headlights don't rise when sidelights are activated alone. Although if you flash someone they stay up, but unlit.

The MK1b headlights popped up when in sidelight mode and the secondry eliment lit offering a more noticeable sidelight. Flashing allowed full beam then to return to sidelight status with the lights up.

I haven't read the other articles, but I'd imaging by plumbing in a relay and/or secondry switch you'd be able to control the pop-up function where the headlights wouldn't rise in sidelight mode, but still be illuminated whilst down. I have no idea whether you'd be able to flash with this modification though...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links