Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello Again....

Gnome

Did my regular disappearing act again didn't I....

The reason? Yes, yes, that !Removed! motorbike again....

Well this time, it was up at a show, but still a non-runner.

The reason?

A little story first...

I bought the engine from a chap up in Derbyshire.

Now, he'd got it from someone for a steal, as it'd dropped a valve, and blown a piston (no.3 to be precise).

He got a new piston, and completely new cylinder head (when I say new, he's got it from another decent motor).

I bought it off him at the end of summer last year. Now, we'd got it running, but it had several leaks.

When me and my bro stripped it apart a few weeks back, we made a bit of a nasty discovery.

The sleeve on the cylinder, where the original piston had blown, was never sorted.

Yup, it had two gouges down the sleeve, and dink out of the sleeve wall too. :crybaby:

I contacted the bloke and told him, and asked him to sort it out.

Now, I do sort of know him (mate of a mate), and we were both suprised he'd do something like this (I don't know if he was being lazy, or just didn't spot it, as I know he now has glasses... :eek: ).

I do like to give people a chance to sort out problems though, and the nice chap is sending down replacement barrels and pistons, so it's not a tragedy, although I'd like to have been riding it by now (although the great british weather is keeping me happy by raining lots... :D ).

So, Project Gnome started with a 600cc engine. The engine was then replaced by a 750cc engine.

Now?

It'll be 1052cc! :drool:

Plan is to use the 750 crankcases, and 1052 cranks (will have to take a bit out of the cases for the crank to fit), a 750 6 speed gearbox (the bigger engines, 1100's, etc, have a 5 speed, and seem to be generally a tad weaker than the 6 speed ones),, and the cylinder head from the current 750 engine. It's a 748cc short-stroke head, so it should up the compression slightly.

Running it with 34mm carbs to lose some top end power, and gain some hopefully awesome torque curves... :D

So, roll on this week, when I should have all the bits together, and can then start the next stage of the "never-ending story..." :rolleyes: :D

Oh, and hello to everyone. Hope you are all well.... :thumbsup:

It's been a slow day at work Caz... :D

Plus I'm very excited... :D :D :D

Good to receive the usual TOC welcome... :D

Off again this weekend to the BMF show at Peterborough, and then I'm off to Kent for GEMS in a few weeks time as well!

Found meself an awesome new tent as well. £30 from Millets, it's an instant "pop-up" tent! The definition of lazy camper!!! :D

back again?

oh erm welcome back

Yes - I disappeared for a while, now I'm back again. Is it that hard to understand? :D :P

Sounds like fun with the engine - I just got the GS850 running at the weekend. Only problem is it seems to be the noisiest machine I've ever heard :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links