Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bio Deisel

Nick SR

Hi

On my occaisional drives to York i pass a bio deisel station, being new to driving a deisel i am not sure as to the implications of using this in the real world.

Not interested in what the fuel companies state, but views of people who use, or who have used it.

Any opinions much appreciated.

Nick

I think there are some issues involved with injectors and the quality of the BioDiesel being used. A quick Google came up with a few Forums with users of BD on them, rather than industry and company sites. Some people seem to get away without any problems and some seem to be running into problems all the time. Pretty much down to your vehicle and the quality of the fuel. A guy on an Aussie site has used his 307 for 27K on BD and had no probs... not bad at all, especially for a 307! ;)

Having read about it, the pro's seem to be:

Solvents in Bio-Diesel remove deposites and clean the engine.

Bio-diesel also acts as a lubricant.

Lower emmisions generally (carbon in particular).

Can withstand higher compression.

Renewable.

Improved fuel economy? I don't know how much it costs.

Cons:

The fact that it cleans out your engine means that the fuel filter can clog up very quickly when you first make the switch. This will go away eventually as your engine gets cleared.

Fuel lines may have to be replaced with different material, as Bio-Diesel corrodes rubber.

There may be a reduction in performance (not necissarily though).

Higher NO2 emmisions (greenhouse gas).

Nick, you could try the Biodieselnow forums.

I'm told its best to steer clear of the "General" forum as it can get a bit "heated" politically :rolleyes:

:thumbsup:

A

Biodiesel is a vegetable oil-based fuel that runs in unmodified diesel engines - cars, buses, trucks, construction equipment, boats, generators, and oil home heating units.

what a load of tat..... unless bio diesel is around £0.50p per liter like red diesel

it is in the US...

Its also worth noting that the Biodiesel that you can buy at the pumps here is only 15% "bio" and 85% dino-juice as that's the largest proportion allowed by law.

Also worth checking is if your engine manufacturer says it works on higher percentages. There is a list somewhere, but I can't remember the link...

I've tried it a couple of times, but not only is the garage around here expensive but the guy that runs it is pretty rude...

A

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links