Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clonking Noise On Full Lock

alany

Hi All

anyone else have a problem with a clonking noise when your MR2 is on full lock especially when cold?

if so anyone got any answers as to how to cure it??

My Toyota garage says "they all do it and it is a characteristic of the car" i wonder if that is so.

Alan :(

Never heard of it before!

ditto for that being normal

im a car numpty but sounds like cv joint, bearings or suspension... know when mine was making noises like that it was definately a prob and one of those parts ive mentioned was a bit chris evans(they all were in fact lol). jack it up and see if your wheel wobbles at all(pull n push from top to bottom or left to right of wheels), if it does... then theres summat a bit wrong. if its not that maybe summats loose an swinging? also might be a suspension unit giving up the ghost, look for oil and split rubbers around the tops.... a relatively easy way that worked for me diagnosing a broke sus unit was sprayin loads of water under the wheel arches on them and lookin for oil slick from underneath... n there was :rolleyes:

hope somebody comes on and knows exactly what gives :) :thumbsup:

turn the wheels to one side jack her up put a bar under the wheel, move the wheel up and down, look at the drop link and watch to see if there is any movement, common fault is that the ball joints go and you get a knocking from them. :thumbsup:

Also when it happens on full lock it could be the wheel brg, as it is under full loadwhen you are turning. :crybaby: if you jack her up and try to move the wheel (one hand at the top & one at the bottom) in & out you will feel abit of movement,.

Also, no CV joint on the front as its RWD.

moments like these i wish i knew a hella lot more about cars :D .... sry bout any confusion of mine... usually get told theres a whole lot wrong at once lol

Hope you never get taken for a ride at your local garage like I used to... changed garages and my MR2 has passed the last 2 years MOT's.

Yep it's a common problem with some types of tyres on the MkIII and nothing to worry about. :thumbsup:

I have Yoko's all round on mine and when using full lock in the cold it sounds like my front c/v's are shot (if I had any :lol: ).

If you're worried, try it first thing on a cold morning to hear the noise the rag it about a bit (legally of course ;) ), then try it again, you should find that all is well :yes:

Hope you never get taken for a ride at your local garage like I used to... changed garages and my MR2 has passed the last 2 years MOT's.

heh me too! .. still i likely wouldnt know so i guess i wouldnt feel too bad :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links