Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cycle Carriers

Starensis

As the summer ( we just get some sun this year ) is fast approaching, my thoughts are truning to doing some leisure cycling around the UK.

Will help me keep fit ( or more like get fit ) & will hopefully see some of our lovely countryside along the way.

So, I'm looking to purchase a 3-cycle carrier for my 2001 Avensis. Just wondering if anyone is using one at all within this forum & if so, what make etc.

I do not have a tow bar so hatch mounted is the only option. I don't want roof mounted.

Cheers.

Thanks Giddlepin.

After using a hatchback mounted jobbie on the Astra, I think I'm going to get one of those Roof Rack systems... Just don't know if they can carry two adult's ATBs and a kiddies?

I had to t-cut some scratching out of the Astra's paintwork due to the mount, although a front fork dropping on my roof would be a bit of a worry.

Think I'll just get an estate! ;)

We regularly used to have 4 adult bikes on a roof mount with No problems at all. Thule make one of the best systems for this, but they ain't the cheapest.

The hatch mounted ones do/can cause damage over time. Roof systems are better for the car and better for the bikes too. ( just don't forget it's fitted and go into a multi storey car park with a bike on the roof [/embarrassing incident])

Had two of the hatch mounted ones and they scratch the car no doubt. I've now got a Thule tow bar mounted one and it is fine with two adult MTB's, I have my doubts about putting three on it despite it saying it is for thre bikes. If you do not mind a little scratch here and there the hatch mount will be fine.

Thanks for your inputs all.

I'm torn between roof mounted & tow bar mounted.

With the roof mounted I can also use the bars for other mounts, such as roof box.

Tow bar mounted I could also use for trailers etc.

As the kerb weight does not supplement pulling trailers, roof mounted is possibly the best option.

I don't think it will be cheap though. Possibly looking at around £300 for the whole works :crybaby:

Thank again.

If you dont want the sratches the money will be worth it in the long run. The roof ones are good and the bikes secure, some of those hatch mounts never feel secure.

Just MIND they are on when going in car parks where barrier mounted, underground etc.... lol my mate went in a multi story and scrapped his bike and messed his roof up going under a barrier.....

Yes he is a plonker and it was a Sh*troen BX so no great loss

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links