Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dilemma

Fidgits

Okay, i have a dilemma I am hoping you can help me with...

As a few of you probably know, i've been looking for a replacement for the IS200 for a year or two, ive finally settled on 'what' car I want, however, me being me, it's not an easy search (harder than i expected) and i get the feeling i could be in for a long slog...

But, i did just miss a bargin, and if i see the right car, i'll buy it...

However, the IS is in need of a 60k service and a cambelt change - a pricey prospect.

Originally, i was either going to shift it beforehand, or do this and hang onto the car for another year (after spending that much on it, seemed silly to offload) but as im struggling to find (and find the time) to car hunt, i dont know whether to do the service to keep the FLSH in tact, especially if i have to sell the car privately as I may need to buy privately to get a car in my budget...

It also needs a couple of tyres, and while selling points for a private sale, I wont get my money back on them, and if i do manage to do a trade-in, this is dead money... and were talking a 4 figure total for all the work.

So, what should i do - service the car in view of a long and weary search, or take the risk the right car is around the corner!

I wouldn't bother to be honest. Perhaps set yourself a time limit? If you haven't found a car within your limit then consider putting a service on it for the history. I guess, it all depends how much mileage you do and if you sell it privately or to a dealership. If the car is only slightly over the service point then it shouldn't matter too much. If you think you'll be adding lots of miles on at point of selling, then consider it if you think you're likely to sell to a private buyer. A dealership probably wouldn't batter an eyelid.

I'm in a similar prediciment with the Yaris.

Bear in mind it could take a couple of months to find exactly what it is you want. IF it were me i`d do the service, cambelt and tyres and then try and recoup some of the money spent by either trying to chip a few quid of your new one or adding a few quid to yours. That way at least you`ll have a FLSH and a 100% uptogether car to tempt prospective buyers :yes:

So, what should i do - service the car in view of a long and weary search, or take the risk the right car is around the corner!

If you don't service the car and try to sell privately you might have to reduce the price anyway as anybody who is buying with price in mind will surely ask how long to the next service.

Unfortunately I can't see an easy way of avoiding losing money on the service unless you trade it at a dealers.

I'd agree with Daktari and keep up the appearance that you have looked after the car well. Certainly looked in very good nick last time I saw it at the pub.

Like yourself and Caz, my Corolla is up for a service soon and I'm about to get rid of it. Either a friend of mine will buy it, in which case I will get it serviced anyway before handing it over, or I will trade it. Unlike you, though, I'll be replacing it with a common vehicle that is in plentiful supply.

EDIT: forgot to mention of course that neglecting to change the cambelt on what is presumably an interference engine could be very expensive if you are unlucky!

Paul.

How about getting some quotes from a decent independent garage to do the work instead? Ok you'd lose the Lexus service history, but as a buyer I'd be more concerned that the work had been done than that the manufacturer did it.

Or even sell the car now, buy something cheap and reliable to run around in while you look for a new one? Not likely to loose too much on a cheap car over a couple of months.

I'm in a similar prediciment with the Yaris.

Same here!

I reckon I'm just going to get it serviced again by Toyota as then I can write FTSH on the advert. Hopefully, I'll recoup the money with it going for a slightly higher price because all the servicing was done by Toyota. :thumbsup:

Your situation sounds like a lose lose though mate unless you can find your next car very soon! :(

Full Lexus Service History has gotta count for something. I know that's what I'd look for if I was after one (and I do get tempted from time to time). :yes:

Alright, not nice to have to bite on the bullet and fork out the readies but I think it's the sensible option.

Ian, open your wallet and pay for the Lexus service/cambelt change..................because you would not buy the car from someone if the work had not been done......................and you really can afford it ;)

Or ....put another way..............if you do not get the work done it could cost you dearly if the engine lets loose.

A Lexus should only be sold with a FLSH. I would not buy such a "prestigious" car without such history

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links