Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tubeless

crizzle

On my sisters Yaris it says tubeless on the tyre.

Does this mean there in no inner tube? if so, how does the air stay in?

Is there any difference betwwen tubeless typrs and ones with the inner tubes?

Tubeless tyres work by sealing the spoke well of the rim, either with a specially designed rim and spokes, or with a butyl/plastic strip. The valve is either a separate item sealed with an 'O' ring or part of the rim strip. The tyre is also air tight, this can be done either by adding rubber to the tyre material, or more commonly by coating the inside of the casing with Butyl rubber.

Actually tubeless tyres are usually found on push bikes... :unsure:

J

OK.. tubeless tyres don't have tubes... they have tubless valves....

414.jpg

These get pulled through the little hole in the rim and seal themselves up because of the special rubber and the tight fit.

The difference between tubeless tyres and tube type tyres is mainly the way in which the tyre seals to the wheel, the shape of the bead of the tyre is as such that it causes an air tight seal... this seal is dependant on the rim too.. if a steel wheel is rusty it will leak, if an alloy wheel has oxidised it will leak.

There are a few different sealents on the market that are used on the rim to help the tyres seal on.

16118.gif

Tubeless tyres are also less porous (sp) than tube type tyres, so it takes the air longer to seep through the rubber.. (no, tyres are not 100% air tight)

Most of todays car tyres are tubeless, but this doesn't mean that you can't put a tube in a tubeless tyre.. if a rim is too badly corroded and the seal is leaking, a tube would be a possible cure, also if there is a small puncture that is near the edge of a tyre again a tube is a possible repair... however, tubes can only be fitted to tyres that have a 60 series profile or higher ( 195/50x15, and 205/40x17's etc cannot be tubed).

Rims too can be tubeless and tube type.. altho almost all modern wheels can take a tubeless tyre.. older steel wheels weren't seem welded and as such required a tube to get a seal.

more info here

http://www.google.co.uk/

It'll provide all the answers.

I typed in "Tubeless tyres" and got this as the first link :

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/tubeless_tyres.html

Questions and Answers:

How do they work?

Tubeless tyres work by sealing the spoke well of the rim, either with a specially designed rim and spokes, or with a butyl/plastic strip. The valve is either a separate item sealed with an 'O' ring or part of the rim strip. The tyre is also air tight, this can be done either by adding rubber to the tyre material, or more commonly by coating the inside of the casing with Butyl rubber.

'Jamesb4uk' said that tubeless tyres are usually found on push bikes !!!

I have never seen tubeless tyres on push bikes, as far as I was aware they all have inner tubes, including racing tubs ( they have a inner tuber sealed inside the tyre casing which is 'sitched' on over the tube ).

'Jamesb4uk' said that tubeless tyres are usually found on push bikes !!!

I have never seen tubeless tyres on push bikes, as far as I was aware they all have inner tubes, including racing tubs ( they have a inner tuber sealed inside the tyre casing which is 'sitched' on over the tube ).

Have a look at the link I posted above ..

Thanks 'Bibs' , my experience has only been with road racing cycles, not MTB's :blink:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links