Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T-bar/convertible/targa £5k

irish_kev

Hi all,

my mate's been thinking of getting a 2-seater targa top, t-bar or convertible and just wondering what you guys thought of a few of them. He's lookin for something under 5 grand, preferable 2-seater and reasonably fast. I want to keep him away from mx-5's, mg's...etc (not that they're not good cars but...ya know)

I suggested a 300zx - but saw some bad comments about them on here, then mr2 t-bar turbo, supra targa top (prob not for under 5k).....

any suggestions, comments??

300zx is awesome but expensive when it goes wrong, of course you have the mr2's but expensive insurance although reliable and great fun, mg's are prone to failure and are basically [enter bad word here], could do a lot worse than a Supercharged or Turbo's MX5, cheap insurance and reliable.

If it were me it would be a toss up between 2 and 5...

Tell your mate to hop over to 300zx.co.uk & have a read of the FAQs TBH the NA's are pretty robust, stock tubbies are fairly reliable - its when you start moding things can & will go wrong....

For £5K you can quite happily get a good example of a Zed. but remember most cars for that price are a similar age to mine (1989) so suffer from the usual old age problems

yes reliability can be a problem - but only if not properly maintained.

If you are worried - take a couple out on a test drive.

J

£5k will get you Non Turbo Aerotop MK4 Supra or a Turbo MX5/Eunos. :thumbsup:

thanks guys :thumbsup:

think i'd try and push him towards a nice mr2 turbo. seems like they're really fun to drive, pretty reliable and not too hairdresserish. Or an n/a one, I wonder would the n/a mr2 be much different than my celica though - same engine (i think) but the handling is bound to be much different. around the same weight as a celica though which surprises me :unsure:

300zx is still not a bad option though - not too common

£5k will get you Non Turbo Aerotop MK4 Supra or a Turbo MX5/Eunos. :thumbsup:

had a quick look at aerotop supras on autotrader and they all seem to be auto......did they do a manual aerotop?

Hate to say it, but I'd go MX5 .. Targa's and T-bars are just not the same as a proper convertable.

MR2's are the same engine and weight as the Celica, and they are totally different to drive.

Supra Aerotops rock............ :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links