Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Sunroof

lennons

I have a Celica which is just under 6 years old, the sunroof appears to have rusted under the seal of the sunroof, when I spoke to dealer Shields of Glasgow and Toyota customer service I was told that this was not covered by 6 year corrosion warranty as it is a mechanical part of the car and does not form part of body.

I have also been told that have to replace sunroof at my expenses has anyone else had this problem with the Celica sunroof.

I would appreciate if any other Celica owners have a similar or same problem with sunroof.

:(

Sounds like a lame excuse to me. It might be mechanically operated but it is a body panel, just like a door or a boot lid and should be covered. Try speaking to someone senior. Ask for names (That usually starts them sweating.) Contact Toyota GBs` head office. Do the usual and threaten them with Trading standards etc.

Sounds like a lame excuse to me. It might be mechanically operated but it is a body panel, just like a door or a boot lid and should be covered. Try speaking to someone senior. Ask for names (That usually starts them sweating.) Contact Toyota GBs` head office. Do the usual and threaten them with Trading standards etc.

I have already spoke to Toyota GBs who have informed me of the same that it is mechanical and that there is nothing that can be done I agree with you that it should be covered spoke to consumer direct and the said that I could not do anything as is was over 5 years and the sale of goods act does not cover this, they informed me that trading standards could not do anything either will try speakimg to them tomorrow

vac6_tn.gif

• 1 year later...

I have just acquired a 2003 Gen 7 VVti Premium pack with the electric sunroof.

This sunroof too has corrosion on the underside edges. It is difficult to spot unless you are peering upwards through the open sunroof.

I pulled the rubber seal away in order to clean and apply anti rust fluid and found 4 areas of rust.

These are: An inch in from the rear corners on the back edge, also on the sides about 3 inches back from the front edge.

I got the rubber seal back in place after a couple of tries, initially it would not stay on when the sunroof was closed.

I guess this must be a common problem. The warranty option appears to have been ruled out by the previous poster.

Anyone replaced the offending corroded part? Is it a DIY job?

I have just acquired a 2003 Gen 7 VVti Premium pack with the electric sunroof.

This sunroof too has corrosion on the underside edges. It is difficult to spot unless you are peering upwards through the open sunroof.

I pulled the rubber seal away in order to clean and apply anti rust fluid and found 4 areas of rust.

These are: An inch in from the rear corners on the back edge, also on the sides about 3 inches back from the front edge.

I got the rubber seal back in place after a couple of tries, initially it would not stay on when the sunroof was closed.

I guess this must be a common problem. The warranty option appears to have been ruled out by the previous poster.

I thought the Gen 7 sunroof was a clear plastic panel. Are they steel, or do you mean the mechanism for the sunroof?

I had this problem also, Toyota replaced the sunroof under warranty when the car was just under three years old, but this rust problem is happening again, although a bit slower (see pic).

I thought the Gen 7 sunroof was a clear plastic panel. Are they steel, or do you mean the mechanism for the sunroof?

In general the early models came with a plastic one (mine had a plastic) and later with glass ones, when I got mine replaced in 2003, I got a glass one, so I think Toyota has superseded the plastic with glass roof on all models.

I haven't done it myself, however since the glass roof itself is a single piece (comes with the frame assembled) and is only held by four screws, it shouldn't be too difficult, but maybe lining it up and adjusting so it opens and closes smoothly might be tricky?

post-39239-1185806013_thumb.jpg

I didn't know they'd started using glass panels; I never had any trouble with the plastic one, though you had to take care when washing the car not to scratch it.

So if it's just the frame, could it not be treated with a rust converter and then painted - perhaps rust inhibiting primer followed by appropriate colour paint (black presumably).

[EDIT]Oh, just saw the pic; worse than I'd thought it might be. And I see it's body coloured; could still be treated and then touched up rather than being replaced. Hard to see how they can argue it's not part of the body when it's body colour though - if it had been the black transport mech then I could understand the distinction more easily.[/EDIT]

Thanks for the replies.

Mine is glass on an 03 car. The rusted frame is not body coloured, just black painted. It is not visible from the outside when the roof is closed, but the glass screws to it and the rubber seal then fits around the two.

You may be right with 4 screws to remove the glass/frame unit then a few screws to separate the two.

I think eventually the rust would mean that the rubber seal will not stay in place when the sunroof closes.

I will try to identify the part from a workshop manual and price a spare, hoping it is available individually!

If I do fit a new one, its going to have plenty of rust proofing applied!

I don't think the frame unit is available separately, only as a glass/frame assembly, I wish it was though.

Judging by the picture from the parts catalog, that seems to be the case, for both pre-facelift and facelift.

This sort of response to warranty issues seems to be all to common with Toyota GB. If the sun roof was factory fitted, it should be covered by the warranty. I wouldn't touch it myself and I would insist that Toyota arranged the repairs. If they didn't, I would threaten to take it to a professional body shop and to sue them through the small claims court for costs (it is not expensive and quite easy to do). It is hard to imagine any judge ruling in favour of Toyota GB and I doubt it would get that far.

The Sale of Goods Act is not relevant, but the warranty is. I think in this case it would be Toyota GB that should be threatened and not the garage (they would be liable for supplying a faulty car under the Sales of Goods Act only), but it is worth checking.

If the work isn't done properly, the car will be devalued.

The Sale of Goods Act is not relevant, but the warranty is. I think in this case it would be Toyota GB that should be threatened and not the garage (they would be liable for supplying a faulty car under the Sales of Goods Act only), but it is worth checking.

You might be right there.

However, as the car is 6 years old I don't think it's as clear cut as that. I would think that if it was less than 3 years old then it definitely should have been covered. But the anti-corrosion warranty is much more specific, and I think Toyota have a better chance of getting off the hook.

I'm not saying a that there is no chance of a result, just that I don't think it's a certainty.

However, as the car is 6 years old I don't think it's as clear cut as that. I would think that if it was less than 3 years old then it definitely should have been covered. But the anti-corrosion warranty is much more specific, and I think Toyota have a better chance of getting off the hook.

I'm not saying a that there is no chance of a result, just that I don't think it's a certainty.

The initial reaction of Toyota GB seems to be to reject a lot of warranty claims, valid or otherwise. It is only when they see you mean business that will they change their position. Looking at the photograph of the sun-roof, I think that most would agree that this shows signs of undue corrosion and it would be up to Toyota to argue that it didn't.

Of course you are right though, nothing in this life is a certainty!!

The initial reaction of Toyota GB seems to be to reject a lot of warranty claims, valid or otherwise. It is only when they see you mean business that will they change their position. Looking at the photograph of the sun-roof, I think that most would agree that this shows signs of undue corrosion and it would be up to Toyota to argue that it didn't.

I agree that often seems to be the case with warranty issues; I've had that from them with regard to problems with a VVTLi engine within its 3 years warranty.

In this case, I believe they're not disputing that the corrosion is taking place, rather that the sunroof isn't covered by the bodywork warranty. I wonder whether that therefore implies that the warranty wouldn't apply to the bonnet, doors or tailgate either as they're similarly seperate panels joined to the body by hinges etc.

.....In this case, I believe they're not disputing that the corrosion is taking place, rather that the sunroof isn't covered by the bodywork warranty. I wonder whether that therefore implies that the warranty wouldn't apply to the bonnet, doors or tailgate either as they're similarly seperate panels joined to the body by hinges etc.

Indeed. How can part of the roof be considered to be not part of the bodywork? A sun-roof might be an optional extra, but it replaces a part of the roof which isn't.

• 2 years later...

I too have just purchased a Celica VVTi 140 (2003), the body work has no corrosion, except the steel rim under the rubber of the sunroof has completely corroded all the way around to the point where it is crumbling to dust and the rubber seal lifts above the roof line when the sun roof is closed. From what I am reading this is a common problem and an oversight by Toyota. I am hoping to find a replacement sunroof from an auto spares and fit it myself... if I can find one!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links