Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Checking Turbo Engines

dawolf

I'm still considering buying an MR2 turbo, seen a couple I like. My main concern is the engine (most expensive part to get fixed). How do you reliably check the condition of the engine without opening it up? I guess it's a case of checking for mayo, smoke, rattles or knocks, warm and cold idling and seeing how well it pulls on the drive. I'm considering paying my mechanic to come with me or is that not really needed? Any other tips? Cheers.

I guess it's a case of checking for mayo, smoke, rattles or knocks, warm and cold idling and seeing how well it pulls on the drive. I'm considering paying my mechanic to come with me or is that not really needed? Any other tips? Cheers.

that pretty much covers it - hear it starting on a cold start: does it start up easy/quick enough? idle straight? check temp needle. take for a spin driving off boost 1st then when the car is warm enough try checking boost in 2nd and 3rd all the way through the rev range - check for hesitation/missing...!

Also drive through a 5 gears checking shift up and down.... always check in your mirror for smoke throughout the test drive.

When parking up leave the car running for a few minutes - make sure cooling fans kick in - temp stays where it should - open engine bay check for oil burning smell (rocker cover gasket normally) and again listen to the sound of the engine and the way it idles (Should be nice and smooth - not lumpy)

that pretty much covers it - oh dont forget to switch it off and then back on once or twice... check oil/water levels before starting and taking for a run.

Rash :thumbsup:

p.s ALWAYS a good ideal to take some1 'in the konw' with you - also look / drive a few so you can compare!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links