Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Broken Down

martin_longbow

Hi signin in for martin( im the good lookin better half)he has broken down on way to germany( with our 13 yr old son) just after j 26 on m25. At moment waitin for recovery man,Can anyone tell us where martin is ( as in which towns are close by).He lookin for a recommendable toyota supplier where can he gets parts, suppliers. Or a garages in that area. Martin says it looks like the cv(joint??) at gearbox side expolded any help appreciated.

Hopefully someone out there can make head or tail of this, talkin on mobile while martin tryin to explain.. Soz and help. :help: :D

In the meanwhile.. what are you doing tonight?? ;)

Hi signin in for martin( im the good lookin better half)

:lol:

Any pics??

Any pics??

stay as far away from people like u....................

Hope he gets sorted soon :thumbsup:

thanks me too.

I was only kidding.. i know you will be a little worried about Martin.. sometimes a bit of light hearted humour helps. I'm sure he will be up and running soon. :thumbsup:

Any pics??

stay as far away from people like u....................

Hope he gets sorted soon :thumbsup:

thanks me too.

:lol::lol: Is it the cfc thing ? i try to avoid the celtic type too :lol::lol:

:P ONLY KIDDIN BIG MAN

mon the gers :lol::thumbsup:

Hmmm... sounds like he needs the services of TOCRG, but sadly they'll all be in the pub no doubt.

Your best hope might be to send a pm or "personal message" to Leeky, Bibbs or Caz_SR - they might be able to help.

I hope they get it sorted :thumbsup:

Alan

PS I believe I'm closer to you than either of the other two :D

:lol::lol: Is it the cfc thing ? i try to avoid the celtic type too :lol::lol:

:P ONLY KIDDIN BIG MAN

mon the gers :lol::thumbsup:

We've won the league again, fly the flag... :P

Anyway, hope you get it sorted soon Martin, let us know how it goes! :thumbsup:

sorry I'm prob a bit late with this - he is (was) about 5 mins from my house - let me know if I can help.

sorry I'm prob a bit late with this - he is (was) about 5 mins from my house - let me know if I can help.

Thanks but hes on his way bk home now. Thanks for the offer any how. mrs longbow

Mrs Longbow,

You should tell him that to save fuel like a real Scotsman he should have broken down on the way back from Germany and been recovered from the M25 ;) :D

Glad to hear that they are O.K and hope that he can get it fixed up soon :thumbsup:

He was on my doorstep also. I'm just down the road from J26.

Incidentally the nearest dealer to him would have been HILLS of Bishop Stortford who are a great bunch.

Hope all is sorted soon. :thumbsup:

Hi all, many thanks for your offers for help.

I have just got back home with said offending car and I will deal with it tomorrow but it looks like the gerbox side of my near side drive shaft has blew to pieces, not sure if the bits comming offf at high speed have done any other damage or damage to the gear box etc.

I had hopes of recovering the car quickly and getting it to a reasonable garage while I used a hire car to do the trip. Sadly it was 5.00 pm when I broke down and about 8.00pm when the recovery lorry actually arrived, so the chances of catching a connection through the tunnel was past and those helpfull people at the tunnel were going to upgrade my passage to full fees at £145 up from the £62 I had booked. There were storeage costs for the car at £25 per night in the recovery yard and then the repair. So I pulled the trip and got the nice chap with the lorry to transport me home.

What a bummer I have spent a fair amount taking my car to the M25 to take in some nice fumes and back home, a 720 mile round trip, dissapointed my son, who does understand, and now I need to find out whats wrong and source some parts, but hey my son said he will just tell his friends that we went on a service station tour instead, he's a good lad after all. And I can see what I can recover from the travel insurance.

Thanks again for the offered assistance and information. I am glad to report that none of the ******s who thought they should see a broken down man and his car, and peep the horn and display various forms of the finger (s) were driving toyota's

Will let you know what the problem is for all those who hate an unfinished story, right off to sleep I think I can hear my own brain buzzing...

Sorry. I did not realise that the word I used was actually a swear word, it is fine by me to block it, it will let everyone else sub a far better word instead. :thumbsup:

Glad you got home okay, but its a bummer you didn't get as far the 'Ring :(

Still, 'm sur eit will make it all the better the next time ;)

A

The offending part was the criclips that hold the CV joint in location, basically the circlips had come off (Still having trouble believing this myself) and possibly due to the long drive probably vibrated down the drive shaft and eventually slipped to far down the drive shaft that no drive was actually beign transferred from the gear box. IE the cv joint sliped past the splines and was freely rotating round the shaft.

I am totally hacked off with this, I really liked the car and now I just hate it. I have worked on cars for 25 years and never ever, EVER heard of circlips slipping off a drive shaft on any car. I am at a total loss to understand why and it really has spoilt the car for me, I dont like it much right now.

I have stripped both drive shafts off the car and will order new criclips from Mr T on Monday (if they supply them seperaly) Dont understand why it has hapened and seriously dont want to trust the same clips again.

So the car will be fixed without major costs but what a crazy thing to happen in the first place....

Like you say. Virtually unheard of. Wonder if someones played around wit it before and not replaced them/it correctly in the seat. :unsure: Don`t let it put you off tho martin. Could happen to any car if that was the case. :yes:

Thanks Dak, that was my thoughts, refurbed the car in Jan, the driveshafts had marks on them which are the tell tale marks of a second hand yard, you know the strange coloured paint sticks they use. I replaced the rubber outer boots but the inner sides of the drive shafts looked ok. I was happy with them then, regreased them etc and this has been fine.

Since then this is the first time my car has been asked to do a run of more than 40 miles. I am happy they were seated correctly but I never had them off. So am at a loss as to understand how they could have come off

Still blinking strange all the same

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links