Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Filled With Smoke!

LIAM.MCGLOIN

The wife arrived home with the Avensis yesterday so after about 5min i went out to get the shopping out of the car,the car is full of smoke! opened the glove box as this is where it seemed to be coming from,emptied out the glove box but it was not anything in it so ripped it out,literally,to find smoking wires behind the glove box.So i disconnected the Battery and rang the dealers.My local Toyota dealers were very good gave me a loan car and told me not to start it and they will pick it up on Monday.Took some photos of the damage.seems this wire is in both petrol and diesel as i took a photo of my friends car for a before picture.

Am thinking of ringing Toyota UK direct to see what they have to say for themselves.I will be afraid now to leave the car at the side of the house as it is beside my daughters window.

3df9.jpg

e907.jpg

14ef.jpg

Looks like a dead short and it's started tracking down the wiring loom (Expensive! :o )

As long as you don't connect the Battery and there is no way of it becoming connected you will be ok, if there was anything smouldering it would have taken by now :yes:

Looks like a dead short and it's started tracking down the wiring loom (Expensive! :o )

As long as you don't connect the battery and there is no way of it becoming connected you will be ok, if there was anything smouldering it would have taken by now :yes:

The car is still under warrenty so should be ok.are we talkn major work i.e new loom.Is it a common fault in cars?

No point kicking up a fuss, your dealers sound as if they have acted exactly as they should have done. They've given you a loan car, they have arranged to pick up the car and fix it and sound as if they've done everything they can to help....

What is there to complain about? Doesn't sound as if they could do much more.

No point kicking up a fuss, your dealers sound as if they have acted exactly as they should have done. They've given you a loan car, they have arranged to pick up the car and fix it and sound as if they've done everything they can to help....

What is there to complain about? Doesn't sound as if they could do much more.

'cos he was worried it might fire up while waiting for them to pick it up :thumbsup:

As long as you don't connect the battery and there is no way of it becoming connected you will be ok, if there was anything smouldering it would have taken by now :yes:

The car is still under warrenty so should be ok.are we talkn major work i.e new loom.Is it a common fault in cars?

As long as nobody has been "Adding" extras there will be no problem with the warranty.

The thing with looms is that they are bundles of tightly packed wires and if one wire tracks through with a dead short then it means a full harness fit.....Very expensive!! :yes:

See how it goes with the dealer first, I have to say for such a new car that is a bit worrying - but as said above seems like the dealer is doing as much as they can at the moment - see how it goes? :unsure:

See how it goes with the dealer first, I have to say for such a new car that is a bit worrying - but as said above seems like the dealer is doing as much as they can at the moment - see how it goes? :unsure:

I know the dealers are been very good,I work next door and have no problem with them.What i was wondering should i contact Toyota UK about is the fact that, the car is just 2 years old,and at night I park it at the side of my house and I feel now (or after it is fixed) that when I go to bed I will be thinking is it going to go up and the house with it. :unsure:

I can understand that an issue like this would be a worry. But given that it`s an isolated occurence. )I think we`d have heard if it was at all common) I wouldn`t be overly concerned about it happening again.

But to be on the safe side, it might be as well not to park too close to the house if you can avoid it. :yes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links