Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

All Moved, But Need Isp Assistance!

Demonic Angel

Well guys, I'm all moved and now back in the haven that is Rugby, home of Rugby Football no less.... TOC trip to the museum anyone?? :lol:

But thats by the by, I'm also without internet at home right now, but hopefully, thats due to change!

Basically, my brother signed up to AOL 6 months ago, so the phone line is still "infected" with AOL Broadband :rolleyes: . I have a choice, either stay with AOL for free for 6 months or discontinue AOL (at a cost) and get a proper ISP!

I'm having a hellish time sorting AOL out, my brother doesnt have the CD's and its all such a mess! But I dont fancy paying the £90 remaining on the 12 month contract to AOL to get the MAC code for disconnection... but I would prefer a decent ISP and a nice wireless modem! :thumbsup:

Can anyone suggest any good ISPs just incase I decide to get rid? Ideally with free modem & connection (because I'm a cheapskate and will have just spent £90 getting rid of A-O-Hell!) :lol: .... doesnt have to be wireless, but the line there will only take 512k max anyway, so I'm not wanting an expensive service, I'm not going to pay £25 a month for only 512k broadband!!

So any suggestions and links to sites would be appreciated! Really need to get the internet sorted asap, as I do all my banking online etc! It may just be that I get my own phone line up to the attic and do it that way, either way, I need to get it back quick sharpish and any help for this damsel in distress would be greatly appreciated!!

Apart from that, all is well, cats are happy and we're all settling into the attic room again! :yes: Got a busy month or so coming up, starting with Thoresby at the weekend, so anyone going, I will see you there!! :thumbsup:

Cheers guys, muchly appreciated as always!

Well guys, I'm all moved and now back in the haven that is Rugby, home of Rugby Football no less.... TOC trip to the museum anyone?? :lol:

But thats by the by, I'm also without internet at home right now, but hopefully, thats due to change!

Basically, my brother signed up to AOL 6 months ago, so the phone line is still "infected" with AOL Broadband :rolleyes: . I have a choice, either stay with AOL for free for 6 months or discontinue AOL (at a cost) and get a proper ISP!

I'm having a hellish time sorting AOL out, my brother doesnt have the CD's and its all such a mess! But I dont fancy paying the £90 remaining on the 12 month contract to AOL to get the MAC code for disconnection... but I would prefer a decent ISP and a nice wireless modem! :thumbsup:

Can anyone suggest any good ISPs just incase I decide to get rid? Ideally with free modem & connection (because I'm a cheapskate and will have just spent £90 getting rid of A-O-Hell!) :lol: .... doesnt have to be wireless, but the line there will only take 512k max anyway, so I'm not wanting an expensive service, I'm not going to pay £25 a month for only 512k broadband!!

So any suggestions and links to sites would be appreciated! Really need to get the internet sorted asap, as I do all my banking online etc! It may just be that I get my own phone line up to the attic and do it that way, either way, I need to get it back quick sharpish and any help for this damsel in distress would be greatly appreciated!!

Apart from that, all is well, cats are happy and we're all settling into the attic room again! :yes: Got a busy month or so coming up, starting with Thoresby at the weekend, so anyone going, I will see you there!! :thumbsup:

Cheers guys, muchly appreciated as always!

You can use a standard adsl router with aol - so you dont need to install the software etc - you'd just need the username/password - might be better than shelling out 90 quid to get out of a contract....

Failing that I'd go with plusnet they've always been reasonable.

All you need to do is pop to ASDA and get yourself a AOL disc :thumbsup: !

Write down your user name/s and password/s and put the AOL disc into your drive.

Install it and it will over write it all or do a clean install depending on what you want to do/select (upto you).

After you have installed it, you will come to an option to select either being an existing customer or a new customer, select the existing customer, enter your user name and password, then it will download all your settings and you will be up and running.

I found this out by not being an AOL customer but by sorting out somebody else's pc :thumbsup: . It's simple to do but if you want any help just ask :thumbsup: !

I don't see the point of paying to get out of the contract TBH

Failing that... I use UKOnline... and not had any problems with the service.. :P Not a bad ISP.. (I personally hate AOL... but thats going back like.. forever :P )

Yeah, I'm not keen on AOL either - I told Antony not to get it, but hey ho...

I will get an AOL disc and give it a go, cheers Dave! :thumbsup:

Problem is if you do install the AOL software as a temporary measure, getting shot of it again can be a complete nightmare.

If you can use a normal router with AOL, that might be the way to go. Buy a wireless one now (they're not that expensive anymore), then if you decide to move to another ISP when the contract is up you can look for the provider that's giving the best deal then rather than the most free stuff :)

Pay up to get out of AOhell asap then find a different ISP...

Here's audio of one US customer trying to liberate themselves from the AOl curse...

Clicky!

Good luck...

A

I'm on Ghey-O-L, but have never had a problem in 18 months.

1mb service.

Only downside is the software, but you don't need it for internet access, and you can use something like Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird for e-mail. ;)

Al: Good sound clip... :D

Well I use Outlook for email anyway and I have my own domain email, so thats not an issue....

The issue really is the crap it'll put on my PC!

But, I can't afford to get rid early, I'll put up with it for 6 months, I can't complain, my brothers paying, so its free, but I'll change as soon as I can

I'm hoping to get a laptop soon anyway, so Mum & Dad can have my computer and I'll have my laptop.... I'm not going to Shell out money for a brand new laptop just to infect it with A-O-Hell! :lol::lol:

I wish I could check the clip out Al, but I cant! :(

No worries Em. Sounds like a plan with the computers - infect then pass on!

The clip was just the AOL guy on the end of the phone being an absolute tit whilst the caller was attempting to just cancel the subscription. 'Twas posted recently in another frum and I thought it might be vaguely relevant :D

:thumbsup:

Alan

Don't use the software then Em!

You don't need it. If you're using a wireless router, you'll just need to enter the appropriate info in your router's config (ISP username, password, etc), and bob's your uncle! ;)

Guest rev3turbo

Emski hun,

just stick with aoooooooooooooooool for now but as mentioned above get an adsl modem one u can put user n pass into via webby interface thing and DO NOT install the aol s/ware, hook it up with ethernet job sorted,

i have done it quite a few times for some of our clients works well n u don't get all the aooooool poo that goes with it. :thumbsup:

moski.

Well thanks to some class workings by me and my brother (and him paying his overdue AOL bill!) I'm finally back on the net!! :D :D :D

OR if you decide not to stick with AOL in the end, and you have a Nynex box in the pavement near your house - NTL Broadband - £25 a month for 4Mb download, unlimited... :thumbsup:

OR if you decide not to stick with AOL in the end, and you have a Nynex box in the pavement near your house - NTL Broadband - £25 a month for 4Mb download, unlimited... :thumbsup:

£25 a month for 10Mb download and phoneline if you know how to haggle ;)

No - that's why you see if it's in your area, and they'd put cable in for you. ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links