Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Angel

jerry phipps

Hi everyone

I'm in the market for buying a road angel. And was thinking of buying the road angel 2. Can anyone recommend other camera detection units out there on the market which i might be interested with? Would like to spend up to £250 And must be able to detect laser mobile units :thumbsup:

Cheers jerry!!

hi there,

ive got a r/a 2. nice bit of kit as long as u update it regular.

have a look on fleabay, they go for around the 160 mark.

baz

And must be able to detect laser mobile units :thumbsup:

Laser detectors don't work, all they can do is occasionally tell you that you've been already been caught. Take it you're aware that they'll be illegal again soon too? If so and you intend to continue using it after the law changes, get a laser jammer instead. At least then you'll have something that's illegal and works, rather than risking a fine for no benefit whatsoever :)

Otherwise just get a purely GPS based system and slow down for the camera sites, these aren't affected by the law change and seem to give pretty good protection.

yep laser detectors are a waste of time, as its detecting a laser thats telling the copper your speed :rolleyes:

road angel is good for gatsos though, still got my classic one and its saved my bacon *coff* many a time :)

cheers for your reply guys. So basically just go out and buy the standard one and forget about the laser detection ones :thumbsup:

jerry!!

What's wrong with a satnav with a camera database?

It only occurred to me a few months ago that this is probably the main reason why I see so many cars with a satnav device attached to the windscreen, why else would a commuter need one when all they are doing is driving the same route home that they have always used.

What's wrong with a satnav with a camera database?

Nothing really as far as I can tell, that's what I use :) The downsides are it can only show mobile camera sites (obviously) rather than where the vans actually are at any particular time and that its only as good as the data you put into it. If that's missing a load of cameras or mobile sites, then it won't be that useful. They're all just aids to the mk1 eyeball as far as I'm concerned anyway.

A jammer is appealing just to counteract the mobile vans that like to sit on motorway bridges with a nice blind crest about a kilometre away so they can just ping everyone as soon as they come into view with the hope of nabbing a few. The camera operator is required by a law to form a prior opinion that someone is speeding before blasting them with the laser, if they bothered doing that a jammer would be redundant as you'd have plenty of time to see them anyway.

I've been thinking of getting one too .....

Just over the past few days I have noticed alot of speed cameras being put up and mobile vans about, I think it's something to do with the Royal Show (locally to me) happening in the next few weeks so they want to make a bit of extra cash on top of what they are already making.

The vans are really hard to spot this year - grey transit vans with nothing at all on them at all with a row of about 4-5 cameras inbedded at the top of the van with the door shut. I had to look at it twice parked up in a layby on a dual carrageway.

I thought all speed camera vans had to be labled with yellow stickers? Or was this a road tax disc van or something else?

Apart from the road angle what about the snooper as that looks good and says that it has 360 radar detection, but I know what you mean about the detection but surely there must be a delay of some sort?

yup 360 radar detection, it must be able to detect through the metalwork

The vans are really hard to spot this year - grey transit vans with nothing at all on them at all with a row of about 4-5 cameras inbedded at the top of the van with the door shut. I had to look at it twice parked up in a layby on a dual carrageway.

Those sound more like ANPR vans (automatic number plate recognition, checks for MOT, Tax and I think insurance now too). Were there a load of Police cars / bikes with it or parked up a bit further down the road?

In theory speed camera vans have to be marked up, but in practice they tend to put those markings in as obscure a place as possible (on the door that opens so they can use the camera, or actually on the front of the van etc).

Oh and regarding detecting stuff, detecting radar is pretty easy and effective as the radar gets fired out everywhere in a huge arc and bounces off loads of stuff for you to pick up... I've got a feeling its continually transmitting too. Laser on the other hand is targetted just at the car in question and even any reflections are going to be over a pretty narrow area and most likely away from you anyway. If they shoot you with the laser and your detector is positioned where it can actually pick it up, it'll go off. Given that getting a reading takes less than a second, that'll be too late.

Go for a GPS unit far better and no wrong detections either..... I have a Snooper and it is very good...

:thumbsup:

Update it evey couple of days via link on laptop, this updates the inbuilt db...

Camera vans are harder to detect as they will be hidden from view and by the time you see them they would have got you.....Vans I have seen on journey to work have nice yellow and orange stipes over back but when doors are open you cant notice them.... B) B)

Also GPS units are not illegal either and never will be....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links