Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Service Time Questions?

Mr Wabbit

Hello, My 1999 n/a is just about ready for its 60,000 service :crybaby: Im going to try and do all the simple things my self to stop me having to give a garage all my money. I have a few quesrtions oh :-)

1) What are the best spark plugs to put in? iv seen some NGK Iridium ones, but in my manual it says something like platinum, do you know which are better? and any decent links online to buy them?

2) What is the best oil / weight to put in? im pritty sure its got mobile 1 in at the min so id like to put some good oil back in?

3) How hard is it to fit a new cam belt?

4) Do you know any decent CHEAP online shops i could get my parts cheap :-)

Thanks in advnace :thumbsup:

Those are the plugs we use Lookie Got ours cheap on eBay.

as for the cam belt not a job I will do :!Removed!: get ours done in a garage for about £120 with a O.E. belt fitted, not alot of room to play with down the side of the engine.

Hello, My 1999 n/a is just about ready for its 60,000 service :crybaby: Im going to try and do all the simple things my self to stop me having to give a garage all my money. I have a few quesrtions oh :-)

1) What are the best spark plugs to put in? iv seen some NGK iridium ones, but in my manual it says something like platinum, do you know which are better? and any decent links online to buy them?

2) What is the best oil / weight to put in? im pritty sure its got mobile 1 in at the min so id like to put some good oil back in?

3) How hard is it to fit a new cam belt?

4) Do you know any decent CHEAP online shops i could get my parts cheap :-)

Thanks in advnace :thumbsup:

Platinum and Iridium plugs are good because they last a long time. I use Champion EON plugs as they are a bit cheaper but they work well and last longer than normal plugs.

Oil - I use Halfauds fully synthetic 5w 40, this comes in a 5L bottle so there is no need to buy an extra, rip off, 1L bottle (most fully synthetic oils only come in 4L bottles). The Halfrauds stuff seems as good as any other fully synthetic stuff I have used including Mobil.

Changing the timing belt is hard. I have just had to get my water pump replaced so I had the belt done at the same time. The garage said it was a real pig of a job and it took them a long time. If you get this done, I would advise going somewhere that has experiance of working on MR2s. Also, make sure they change the timing belt tensoiner and idler pulleys while they are working in there and check the water pump for any play in the bearing - if there is any play get that changed too.

Hi, thanks for the replys. Could someone just check if these look the right plugs for a mk 1999 n/a please, dont wanna buy them and find i got the wrong ones lol

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-MR2-SW20-2-0-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Also do you think i should bother replacing the belt? i dunno if it needs doing but i through been its the 60k service i should?

Look in your owners manual about what should be done at each service interval. I think the 60k requires the cam belt doing. Most main dealers will overcharge for cam belt changes. But I think for your car, being as young as it is, it's worth keeping main dealer history :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links