Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Anyone Know Much About Mk2 Golf's?

TheNissanMan

Just spotted a G Reg Mk2 Golf cabriolet at a local garage for a cheap price and thougt it might make a fun toy and something to play with as I can't play with work cars....

Bodywork is in superb condition, roof is average but ok, aftermarket suspension and alloys and all looks to be ok. Only major concern is the engine sounds a bit tappety which apparently calms down when warm??

What should I look out for? Am guessing with the engine bay being so big there are a number of engine conversions out there as well ????

Help....

Just spotted a G Reg Mk2 Golf cabriolet at a local garage for a cheap price and thougt it might make a fun toy and something to play with as I can't play with work cars....

Bodywork is in superb condition, roof is average but ok, aftermarket suspension and alloys and all looks to be ok. Only major concern is the engine sounds a bit tappety which apparently calms down when warm??

What should I look out for? Am guessing with the engine bay being so big there are a number of engine conversions out there as well ????

Help....

If its a 8 valve then they do sound a bit noisey until warmed up as the engine is something designed in the stone age! Best bet is to start it from cold and let it heat right up until the fan kicks in as this will show if its a problem or just how they are. My mate has had Mk2's all his life so I will get in touch with him and see what he says to look out for.

I personally would check for leaks in the front footwells as this tends to be a common trait. Also make sure the electrical wires under the bonnet are well insulated as in heavy rain at speed it causes the car to play up.

Help....

If its a 8 valve then they do sound a bit noisey until warmed up as the engine is something designed in the stone age! Best bet is to start it from cold and let it heat right up until the fan kicks in as this will show if its a problem or just how they are. My mate has had Mk2's all his life so I will get in touch with him and see what he says to look out for.

I personally would check for leaks in the front footwells as this tends to be a common trait. Also make sure the electrical wires under the bonnet are well insulated as in heavy rain at speed it causes the car to play up.

Even the 16v models can get a bit tappety with mileage. I had a passat GTI given to me few years back with , i think 180 odd K on the clock. Rattled like a good un but never burnt any oil or lost water in the few months i had it. And it went quite well too. :yes:

Are Mk2 Cabrios not just slightly facelifted versions of Mk1 ones structure-wise?

A

i didnt know a mk2 cab existed, cant find trace of one on parkers or anything...

you mean the mk1 cab that was still sold when the mk2 was

ok shows how little i know, its a mk1...

withnewrims.jpg

not the same car but same colour, am seriously thinking about it, anyone know how much the chassis shakes on track although could be a fun little runaround...

ok shows how little i know, its a mk1...

not the same car but same colour, am seriously thinking about it, anyone know how much the chassis shakes on track although could be a fun little runaround...

no worries bud

i would say you are asking the wrong forum, go and drive one to see what it is like

they are a classic and still turn people's heads. bearing in mind it is late 70's design with a few tweeks so there will be skuttle shake, although with this sort of car, its not whay you buy it. there is a serious following so parts arnt an issue.

for reviews, search here - http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Volkswagen_Golf.html - 1984, 1987

:eek: I swear thats one of my work mates old car!! Vws are a bit tapetty at 1st but reliable nippy and fun . Specially the golf cabros! do it m8!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links