Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sat Nav

Penelope Pitstop

Firstly..do all sat navs sit on the dashboard withthose suction thingys that stick to the windscreen??if so do the suckers leave marks on the windscreen which lets prospective theives know you have sat nav stored away in glove box/boot/storage space/ect? which sat navs do you recommend there is so many its a minefield..thought i would make the printable maps from AA redundant LOL P.P.

I just got a tom tom 510.. nice piece of kit.. and the suction cup leaves no marks.

I think all suction cups will ultimately leave a mark... depends how clean you keep your suction cups and your windscreen ;)

I have a PDA with TomTom 5 installed and the speed camera database its very good.. I do recommend TomTom Stuffs... and cause its a PDA can be used for other things too if you want :P

Hi Jayden wots PDA?..have u changes your user name or am i having a blond moment??

Hi Jayden wots PDA?..have u changes your user name or am i having a blond moment??

Personal Digital/Data Assistant, otherwise known as an electronic personal organiser.

I want one seeing as I have an iMate Jam all I need is a bluetooth GPS receiver and TomTom navigator software and I'll be away!

Got a TomTom Go 700. Love it, its a brilliant bit of kit. It has its (minor) problems, and theres a few roads I drive down that aren't on there, but I guess they all have their niggles. I did think about the PDA route, but with stuff like this, I like to have something thats built for the job, rather than have something thats been adapted.

As for the windscreen marks, as long as you clean your windscreen on the inside, and keep the suction cup clean, you don't get marks. I leave my mount in all the time though, and never had problems.

There's a nice little mod on Celica-Club about hard-wiring it in as well, so its always powered without having to have unsightly cables trailing all over the dash. :thumbsup:

I have a PDA with TomTom 5 installed and the speed camera database its very good..

How do you find the reception on that puppy? A mate of mine had an ipaq with sat-nav software, but he had to buy an external car aerial because the signal wasn't getting through to the little gps receiver.

I have an older Tomtom Go 300 and it only loses reception in some central London spots with a lot of tall buildings in the way, even though there is no external aerial. I heard the newer ones are supposed to have 12-channel receivers which might improve on that.

Paul.

Reception is brilliant not a problem really.. ocassionally can get confused on road systems very close to eachother... but generally fixes itself quick and im on my way.. :)

provided I keep up to date with it all.. and dont let it lose Battery (oops) its been fab :)

PP... yeah changed usernames cause 'JaydanWilde' was confusing... cause my name isnt Jaydan lol.. its JJ :P so this is easier...

no blonde moment ;)

and as was said before PDA is a personal organiser... runs windows.. (mine does anyways) has outlook etc..

Hi all i think tomorrow i am gonna buy the tom tom 510,,do you think that will be o.k.....as for the suction marks i do keep my car very clean,,i just thought that, i bet sat . navs are the latest fashion gadget for theives so maybe they are cute and look for the slightest of marks for a tell tale signs before they break a window !! ..Moi with a dirty car !!!wouldnt dream of it!! p.s J my signatures gone west again aint gotta clue how to put it back on....

you will be more than happy with your 510.. when you get it, back it up onto your pc (just follow the instruction manual... very easy) you get the speed (sorry.. safety) camera locations with too :thumbsup:

is that an extra the speed camera thingy coz i do want that or is it standard withthe 510......

Depends on what you're after tbh.

I would personally stay away from the x10 series of Tomtoms for a month or so. There are problems with them at the moment, that's the reason why the 710 is being delayed and only the 510 and 910 are released at the moment.

The problems lie around the bracket/suction cup. Alot are having problems charging because the bracket is not connecting properly with the unit. Unlike the first Tomtoms the new breed charge through the bracket and not the unit itself. There have also been probs with the switching off because the mount does not connect properly and if you go over a bumpy road, it loses connection.

ALSO!.... The new braket tends to droop after long use or hot weather. Tomtom are working on a new braket (or have got one), but they're out of stock.

These issues will affect all Tomtom stock kicking about at the moment!

If you're not too fussed about Europe or Widescreen or bluetooth hands free, then I'd stick with a Tomtom one!

PS: Personally spoke to Tomtom today, hence the info.

Also, all tomtoms should come with a speed camera voucher so you can download the info for free.

We've got a Tom Tom One, good piece of Kit and only £204! The suction mark does leave a little mark on the windscreen, but as said before if you keep it clean the less it shows up.

Depends on what you're after tbh.

I would personally stay away from the x10 series of Tomtoms for a month or so. There are problems with them at the moment, that's the reason why the 710 is being delayed and only the 510 and 910 are released at the moment.

The problems lie around the bracket/suction cup. Alot are having problems charging because the bracket is not connecting properly with the unit. Unlike the first Tomtoms the new breed charge through the bracket and not the unit itself. There have also been probs with the switching off because the mount does not connect properly and if you go over a bumpy road, it loses connection.

ALSO!.... The new braket tends to droop after long use or hot weather. Tomtom are working on a new braket (or have got one), but they're out of stock.

These issues will affect all Tomtom stock kicking about at the moment!

If you're not too fussed about Europe or Widescreen or Bluetooth hands free, then I'd stick with a Tomtom one!

PS: Personally spoke to Tomtom today, hence the info.

Also, all tomtoms should come with a speed camera voucher so you can download the info for free.

I don't have problems with mine switching off... however i just looked on the tom tom site and it say's this....

Question

What should I do when my GO (510/710/910) device switches off and on while driving?

Answer

The new GO range is designed to switch off automatically when it detects that the cigarette lighter has no power. When this happens, it assumes that the driver has turned off the engine.

Unfortunately, certain devices react too sensitively to temporary power loss (e.g. due to a bump in the road) and as a result may switch off while you are driving.

Solution

A new application (version 6.11) has been made available. When this application is installed on your device, this issue is solved. We recommend that you always update to the latest application using TomTom HOME, so you always have the latest features and the best performance on your TomTom device.

I have just upgraded mine by downloading the application.. I have noticed the problem with the suction cup dropping slightly, so will look into that.

Edit:

Just looked at my suction cup.. The way it fits to the screen is by twisting the base.. the harder you twist it, the harder it becomes to swivel the ball joint.. maybe there is a fault or maybe it just needs to be twisted a little further... will check it the next time i have it in the car.

wow....how helpfull you lot are!!! and thanx to jim mr2 i got a 510 today and i have been messing about with it ,,,,its well cool...gonna give it a test run on saturday when i go to myerscough college,,,no more printing out aa road maps for me!!! I have attatched my fone to it as well..still playin around with it...thanx chaps and jj.....if i get stuck with it i will come back on and ask your help....P.P. also already has those speed camera things on it...well chuffed..i have got no excuse now to come to one of those meets i said i would go to...LOL..P.P.

Question

What should I do when my GO (510/710/910) device switches off and on while driving?

Answer

The new GO range is designed to switch off automatically when it detects that the cigarette lighter has no power. When this happens, it assumes that the driver has turned off the engine.

Unfortunately, certain devices react too sensitively to temporary power loss (e.g. due to a bump in the road) and as a result may switch off while you are driving.

Solution

A new application (version 6.11) has been made available. When this application is installed on your device, this issue is solved. We recommend that you always update to the latest application using TomTom HOME, so you always have the latest features and the best performance on your TomTom device.

I have just upgraded mine by downloading the application.. I have noticed the problem with the suction cup dropping slightly, so will look into that.

Edit:

Just looked at my suction cup.. The way it fits to the screen is by twisting the base.. the harder you twist it, the harder it becomes to swivel the ball joint.. maybe there is a fault or maybe it just needs to be twisted a little further... will check it the next time i have it in the car.

The power problem is not a software issue, it's a hardware issue. Hence why tomtom are developing/have developed an updated bracket. (but they are out of stock apparently)

...well i give the sat.nav a test run on the weekend only up to preston,,,,it was ffaaanntaasticcc....i got there in quick time.....lets u know what speed you should be doing,,,,tells u when speed cameas are coming up and what the speed allowance is for that camera,,,brilliant ...so far no problems....one of my better buys this year ..Tom Tom 510 :thumbsup: :D

One of the lads in the office just realised a very easy mistake to make with satnav. The other day he was driving along following instructions. Apparently his TomTom told him a junction was coming up so he glanced down to look at his screen for more info when he jumped a red light that he wasn't aware of!

Luckily for him there wasn't an accident, but I think it just highlighted to him that with all the gadgets in the world you still need to keep your eyes on the road and that perhaps in car sat nav should dispense with screens if it means people will keep an eye on the road ahead.

Got no real complaints about my RoadAngel navigator……………that is apart from one thing, while travelling from Flint to Welshpool the other day it took me on a route that had a 12’-6” bridge, only one problem, I had a 14’-3” high trailer :o , oh it was fun blocking off traffic and turning round with a 40ft trailer then driving all the way back to Mold to avoid it. :ffs:

yeah both of those points are good relevant points,,and i did think how dstracting they are ..i was amazed with all the imformation on that screen and with being new i couldnt take my eyes of it,,i did think better keep my eyes more on the road or there will be very crinkled/smashed up Penelope Pitstop car!!!!!good point about the low bridge as well......P.P.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links