Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

7age Problems

OriRacer

Just so everyone is very clear what I started with and what I have done, because it seam people get confused with these things

My Car is a '93 Corolla GXI 1.8 UK Model the cars model (AE102) is looks like this

car.JPG

I have taken out the stock 7AFE (1.8) engine

engine.jpg

and replaced it with a custom build 7AGE (1.8) engine

P7040010.JPG

Now to get this straight the wiring in the car's is different this car has never had a 4AGE engine

so it never had a coil pack or igniter. But of course now having the 7AGE I now have these, since

you need to use the 4AGE ECU.

I have traced, and joined up both engine and car loom's. popped the engine in and turned the key.....

This is what happened.... This got hot and started smoking.

P7040011.JPG

Once I removed the ( - ) wire that goes on the car body. This seamed

to sort this issue but it still concerns me.

P7040012.JPG

P7040013.JPG

Now I have and checked the following:

Starter turns

All cylinders have correct compression.

Coil pack and spark plugs all spark.

Injector's pass fuel to the engine. Only if accelerator is pushed.

This makes the engine turn and the odd loud 'bang' with some sparks

from the bottom of the manifold.

and no fuses have blown.

I'm stuck can anyone help?

Edited by - oriracer on 07/04/2006 16:09:25

Starter turns

All cylinders have correct compression.

Coil pack and spark plugs all spark.

Injector's pass fuel to the engine. Only if accelerator is pushed.

This makes the engine turn and the odd loud 'bang' with some sparks

from the bottom of the manifold.

and no fuses have blown.

I'm stuck can anyone help?

Edited by - oriracer on 07/04/2006 16:09:25

Starter turns good thats onlya few wires but positive

compression good but mechanical,

coil pack, ok good but how confident are you of the correct ohms and resistance etc

injectors only passing when pedal pressed not good, should pass and seek a contact from the throttle position sensor and air flow meter about the rate of fuel required, sounds like there is a problem there.

popping and banging is fuel and or timing some sparks does not seem right. Must be a problem with polarity, fuel would burn off, small blasts of fire etc sparks is defo electrical.

No fuses have blown - man thats a stinker. When you are looking for some help the car gives you nothing.... but you could be buring out realays, ecu's etc and it's a matter of time before they show or finally melt. Smoking is a clear sign of cross polarity for whatever reason, it could be a fault with a part you have fitted or the wiring.

Since you have spliced the looms together there is probably too much work to re-check. I would approach it like this.

With the correct lume matched to the engine now in the car. I would strip back my current lume and lay in the stock lume matched to the engine. I would only connect the essentials to the lume leaving as much of it unfitted as possible. I would be doing this primarily to test the engine electrics without the complications of the lume job. If there are no problems then at elast you know it is the spliced lume, if there are problems with a stock matched lume then you are looking for a part or parts causing the problem. This may not be what you want to hear but at least you have a reasonable plan with relevant outcomes. You could spend ages checking and re-checking what you have done and not actually get anywhere.

good luck you will get there in the end :thumbsup:

Thank's martin for that am going to have a look back over the car, leaving the body connection from the bat seam like a place to start since it should be on. If it is a polarity problem then i'm stumped, we had the loom off accept the starter and the bat hooked up and the earth was still getting hot.

Unclip the earth from the engine and then the radiator fan just stayed on.

disconnect the body (-) and all 'seam' fine.

and that was just with the stater connnected and all the relays, and fuses out apart from the starter ones.

I'll check over the injectors next and also see if i can fine the volatage that are ment to be coming out.

Timing should be ok I set all the little timing marks at the top when the belt went on.

Surely by disconnecting that earth cable you've removed the earth from a good chunk of the electrics in the whole car (and possibly the engine, can't see where the other earth wires are going in your pics)? Not surprised it doesn't work then.

The wire looks pretty meaty, so it must be carrying a lot of current to get hot. So you've got an earth short in an unfused section of the loom. Best idea I can come up with is to connect a bulb in series with that earth, it shoud light up when the wire was getting hot before. Then start disconnecting bits of the spliced loom until it goes off, then whatever you just disconnected is the problem.

If it isn't the starter motor feed or alternator chare wire causing the short, then carefully consider how much else you've managed to connect up without some sort of fuse before continuing.

Thank's again to martin I double checked the timing on the car I now have her ticking over. The problem turned out to be the distributor timing being out so no spark at the right time.

I am still concered about this earth. When I tried to put the car in gear and move off its like the power just drains right out of the car and she stall's...

So. now I have will idle fine but can't move. Still think there

A) somthing connected in the wrong place

B) something not connedted that should be.

I'm going back to take a look at it just now. Take some pictures of what's not hooked up

and see where I get to before it gets dark.

well looks like something is blow, think it might be the starter rely.

We checking through the electric as I couldn't see and thing wrong with the earths and this is what happened.

turn on all car stuff, lights, fan etc all cool turn on stereo, to listen to music will I work out where the tach wire goes from the ignitor. Then I think I'll just crank the car again with everything on, stereo cut out as normal when car start but doesn't come back. so I turn off the car stereo works ....

So I try again .. car almost starts then goes dead...

I now only have internal / external lights and nothing else works. Starter wont even turn.

I checked all the fuses ... all fine

Looked and measured OHMS over all relys ... all look ok I think :S

Not going to have a chance to look at the car again this week since i'm working night's. But any idea's of what could have done it are welcome.

Well as normal ... it was something simple.

It turns out your car wont start if the ignition harness is not pluged in right.

censored.gif I'm an ****.

She LIVE'S once more.

will update again once were on the road. just need to get the exhust sorted now. Anyone know a good custom exhust place really close to perth ???

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links