Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hello From Another Newb

CTRnutter

Hello everybody, top site you have here!!!!

Well a bit about myself suppose along with a few rather lame questions :unsure:

My real name is Mark and I frequent quite a few sites namely the MLR (Lancer Register) and my own site Dots-In-Mirrors, I work in London and love the Jap Car scene :D

Right now onto the lame stuff I have only been driving a short while but in that time have been lucky enough to have a 53 plate Civic Type-R and the last car I owned was an 05 plate Honda S2000...... The bad news for me is the S2k is now resting in car heaven... :crybaby: after I un-skilfully wrapped it around a solid concrete pillar, as you can imagine my insurance quotes have been rather painful after they paid out in full for the S.

I have a set criteria and I don't want to spend mega bucks especially not 3+ k for insurance..... I have been off the road for 3 months now and it is getting to me but I'm not just going to settle for something that doesn't grip me, my criteria is front engine and rear wheel drive age doesn't matter to much depending on the car and I'd love to get into drifting, thanks to some of things Rob & Andy from Sumo have been up to....

Now the rather cheesy way I think I have found the car I want, I stumbled across a rather cool jap film which no doubt you all know Initial D, and I kind of loved the whole retro 80's Jap car look and have fallen in love with the Idea of a Trueno AE86 but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse sh!t3.

I remember a guy from the MLR a few years back called simongoesideways who use to own one but can't get hold of him to ask him some questions, so now I find myself here. Can you guys recommend an alternative car or maybe shed some light on the Trueno as my knowledge on this car is limited!!!

Thanks

Mark

200 sx- s13 ? Supra TT ? BMW M3 ?

As for the trueno , no idea - as you say rare as *uck

200 sx- s13 ? Supra TT ? BMW M3 ?

As for the trueno , no idea - as you say rare as *uck

I'll give you an idea of my dilemma last quote I got was on a Mini Cooper 52 plate and that was £2200 (Just testing the water had no intention of buying one) so the M3 and Supra TT are out of the question for me although I'd love a Supra!!! I don't know much about the 200 sx and s13 though :)

I have a set criteria and I don't want to spend mega bucks especially not 3+ k for insurance..... I have been off the road for 3 months now and it is getting to me but I'm not just going to settle for something that doesn't grip me, my criteria is front engine and rear wheel drive age doesn't matter to much depending on the car and I'd love to get into drifting, thanks to some of things Rob & Andy from Sumo have been up to....

Thanks

Mark

:unsure: That criteria is going to be pretty high insurance no matter what i think . I think someone on here was selling a supercharged mx5 :unsure: that may fit the bill ?

Thanks

Mark

:unsure: That criteria is going to be pretty high insurance no matter what i think . I think someone on here was selling a supercharged mx5 :unsure: that may fit the bill ?

Surely the Trueno AE86 is not that much to insure given it is in the classic car age category! also it is not that powerful!

So I take it theres is that much knowledge of that paticular model here? If I was going to get one it would be put back to OEM immediately as I would cherish it as a classic rather than abuse it.

Again I'm not sure a supercharged MX-5 will be that cheap to insure!!

Thanks

M

Welcome to the club, I'd recommend you do a load of insurance quotes on cars with different insurance groups & see what group you can realistically afford up to

Welcome to the club, I'd recommend you do a load of insurance quotes on cars with different insurance groups & see what group you can realistically afford up to

I will go up to group 17 which comes out at around 2300 on most cars I could afford more but I think it would be silly to pay more than that in my view.

to be honest I'd love to get hold of the Trueno AE86 so if anybody can point me in the right direction that would be fantastic B)

Thanks

M

I don't know a thing about Trueno's but if I could sort the insurance I'd get a Civic Type R in a second (the old shape though, the new 1's look appalling).

I don't know a thing about Trueno's but if I could sort the insurance I'd get a Civic Type R in a second (the old shape though, the new 1's look appalling).

Been there done that though and when I made the change from the Civic to the S2000 it opened my eyes to the whole rear wheel drive world, front wheel drive is fun but as far as driver involvement give the S2k a go you won't be disappointed.... from what I have been told and from what I have seen bang for the buck you can't go wrong with the Trueno and that is why I am so keen to find one albeit I still ahve much to learn about it.

What are you driving now (if you don't mind me asking)?

If this little setback hadn't have happened to me the S2k would have been going in this year for an NSX just so I could own one as they have now stopped production, but that is not likely to happen now.... So onto another brand but it has to be Jap as that is where my loyalties lye :)

I know the feeling with the loyalty, I've only got a 1.0 Yaris atm but I'm going to be upgrading it as soon as I can decide on what I want next, Toyota aren't making it easy for me though, sportiness seems to be at the very bottom of their priorities list so I've been forced to start looking to see if any other manufacturers can do something I like more.

I forgot you'd had a S2000, I'd love 1 of those as well but there's absolutely no way I could get insured on 1 (& even if I did I'd lose my life/licence pretty quickly anyway), a Civic would be a massive step down from the S2000, keep looking for a Trueno though, if you look hard enough & are prepared to wait, you'll get 1 soon enough.

Hi, and welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

I watched Initial D the other week, good film, and the AE86 in that is awesome :D

For info, i'd try in the Corolla section, and the best person to speak to would be Knowlson i think ;) He's got an AE86 IIRC :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links