Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Gearboxes... What's With That!

Jimlad

Ok... got a TT Supra.. Auto...

WTF??...

Ok...

P = park

R = Reverse

d = drive

2 = ???

L = ???

Overdrive on/off button = ???

Manual = what? (how that work??)

Red button = put car in gear when engine off ???

Sorry if I sound daft here, but it's me first Auto car... I can make it go etc, but don't know what all the rest does!!... lol.

As Rico just said to me on msn....

"you can make it and do burnouts, what else do you need to know?????

make it GO it should say "

Good god what a ludite, hope his helps

Ok... got a TT Supra.. Auto...

P = park..... Put it in this position when you are parked, you may notice the car wont move when it is in this position, it king of lock's the gear box,

R = Reverse.... You obviously do not need help with this one Jim No?

d = drive.... What you want to use 99 percent of the time. The gears will select automaticaly and you never need to worry about gear selection. This is the true automatic setting. Put it in D assuming you want to go forward and only use your right foot stepping on the pedals to go or stop.

2 = ??? & L = ??? are there for you to select manually. The equivilent of first and second. Only useful when towing, or if you want to remain in a low gear, normally the car will not change up a gear until you move the position from L or 2, try going through the box gently pick off accelerate and when you reach about 4,500 rpm or higher if you wish push the selector from L to 2, the gear should change, will normally stay in 2 until you select 3 (which is D)

Overdrive on/off button = ???... This is a move to economise as older auto cars have only three gears. This is the early version of a fourth gear or overdrive, when crusing in top gear the box will sence that there is not a high demand for power and shoud automatically select the overdrive option. Let the car build up to 60 or 70mph and then switch the overdrive off, you should see the revs getting higher and feel a half change, good for taking over without the need for a kick down. (a kick down is when you fully accelerate in an auto and the auto box decides to drop a gear and go for it, depends on your speed, try it at 60 drop the pedal full doena nd you shoud feel the kick down)

Manual = what? (how that work??) usually switches off automatic selection, not sure why you would use this if you are manually selecting gears.

Red button = put car in gear when engine off ???..... My wife drives auto's due to a neck condition I cant spell. Have been running autos for about 20 years and never seen this, so i agree wtf?

By the way there are not many cars that guzzle the juice like a 2.5 V6 mondeo automatic. Loads of money and no fun, could be running an Evo or supra me thinks for the same money...

Sorry if I sound daft here, Its totally ok Jim you do sound daft, but there you go, it's those beanie hats you wear, the must be boiling the brain.

As Rico just said to me on msn....

you can make it and do burnouts, what else do you need to know????? Rico is of course correct, keep it in "L" and give it some in an empty car park on your own land of course, then order new tyres...

Cheers mate

Seriously, dude, no offence..... but we are sick to death on answering the same **** questions about auto boxes every time someone gets a supra/soarer/arsito/celica/mr2 auto.....

I am sure a search will pull up some of the many topics on this matter...

If not, the red is the ejector button, O/D id for when you run the car on diesel, "L" is for use with LPG, and 2 is a special mode for when you have more then two passengers in the car, for long distance high speed economy :P :lol:

P = plonker

R = !Removed!

and so on and so fourth :D :lol:

lol...

So why would you use it in L or 2 and not have manual mode selected??

I take it you can select manual... put it in L ... drive... knock it into 2, then D ... ??

So why would you drive in L or 2 without manual on? Or what would happen if you did with manual off??

Hope you understand!

My dad used to have an auto which had the option to use 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear, the idea is to use them when you need harder acceleration, when going up a steep hill or overtaking etc

car forums are for finding things out from other owners, if you dont like the same questions charlie just dont reply to them, no harm done ;)

car forums are for finding things out from other owners, if you dont like the same questions charlie just dont reply to them, no harm done ;)

What I was thinking.

If it's such a common question why isn't it in the sticky section? :huh:

Because most supra driver are an inteligent bunch, we can even read worlds as long as "search"

"search" :thumbsup:

Plus, if it had been in the supra section, I probably would have ignored it!

Because most supra driver are an inteligent bunch, we can even read worlds as long as "search"

"search" :thumbsup:

Plus, if it had been in the supra section, I probably would have ignored it!

Ok smarty pants, see if you can figure out what this means.... Pr*ck.

Oh and its drivers, intelligent and words :thumbsup:

Should maybe read your posts before saying how clever you are....

LMFAO!!!! get a life VW boy....

This thread is nothing to do with you.... Its an ongoing gag with the supra guys, and doesn't concern you ;) Damn..... you don't even have a toyota, what part of "Toyota owners club" do you not understand?

Congratulations on spotting my typos.... but they have been comented on before ;)

There is always one that takes light hearted bander one step further.... but who cares, I may be a "pr*ck", you are just another porridgewog with a chip on his shoulder :thumbsup:

(and before you kick off that is a light hearted term, as all the other scottish guys on here have a good sense of humour ;))

Exactly :D

Because most supra driver are an inteligent bunch

more like 95% are ignorant. "RAH I'VE GOT A SUPRA, GETOUT OF MY WAY!!!" untill they get to a corner, and !Removed! it round "oohhh i dont want to scratch it"............ just like skyline owners really.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yaris drivers slagging off supra and skyline drivers when it comes to driving fast....

Love it :thumbsup:

Dude... WTF has that got to do with the price of Eggs????

I can assure you that my soop is 100% rust free, and thats on factory paint... pretty good for an 18 year old car I would have thought???

Yup, unfortunately its been draged down by people to which this is none of their business...

Jim seemed to get it, (Supra owner lol) and I posted links with the info so my input was not totally useless....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links