Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Check Light Still Coming On!

Toyota Mickey

Hi all

Can someone direct me to the OBD2 port please? My mum's Avensis light came on. I have a reader so want to check it out. Pretty dark right now so will look in the morning. Would be nice to get a heads up to where I should be looking.

Hi all

Can someone direct me to the OBD2 port please? My mum's Avensis light came on. I have a reader so want to check it out. Pretty dark right now so will look in the morning. Would be nice to get a heads up to where I should be looking.

As you sit in the drivers seat look in front of your right knee. There is a pull out plastic storage box. Pull this out and then up and it comes out. The port and some fuses are in there.

DSC04841.jpg

Mickey

This is sh*t hot! The detail in answers is amazing! Thank you, I have reset the light. Code was P0430 something to do with the cat converter. I don't have the definitions to hand at the mo.

Car has done 100k so maybe it's time to change the cat. Drives really smooth apart from the fact it idles really really low at around 500-600 rpm.

Toyotas, love them when there is no light. Hate them when you have to find the problem! :thumbsup:

I too had my engine management light come on only about a week ago and initially thought this was a lambda sensor replacement situation. However my car has been working fine until i was given a scare when i ran out of fuel going to work a few days ago. the computer said i had 12 miles left but there was nothing in there. I thought it was something related to the engine management light but it was simply fuel running out. The car works fine and yesterday i put in some BP fuel and guess what, the engine light went off.

Il be checking the MAF sensor just incase and for my next fill il go to my usual petrol station which is Shell or Texaco just to see if the light comes back on again.

Thank God for Toyota Owners Forum, otherwise id probably have forked out on lambda sensor and perhaps got nowhere..

Hassan..

my engine light is on and off all the time. how do you reset the system so the light turns off? i want to see if it comes on again then to get it checked by toy.

the computer said i had 12 miles left but there was nothing in there.

Hassan..

Don't forget there is some 'dead space' in a fuel tank that is an unusable volume.

So although you may have say a 10 gallon tank you might be only able to use 9 gallons of it (as an example)

See tank diagram in this article

http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/230/235/archive/B-014.pdf

Also the 'rubbish' sediment in the fuel generally sinks to the bottom of the tank, so if you run low and and your engine slurps up that (dirty fuel) as well, and may have contributed to the engine management light coming on? (guess). I think it's generally advised not to run your tank to near empty especially on older cars, as the engine draws up the crap.

my engine light is on and off all the time. how do you reset the system so the light turns off? i want to see if it comes on again then to get it checked by toy.

I was told by the guys a Toyota that if you disconnect the Battery for 20 mins the light will reset and the memory cleared, thats what I did and it seemed to work.

If the light comes on again after that I would start with cleaning the MAF and if that doesn't help get the codes read at Mr Ts or another garage that can do it.

Mickey

the computer said i had 12 miles left but there was nothing in there.

Hassan..

Don't forget there is some 'dead space' in a fuel tank that is an unusable volume.

So although you may have say a 10 gallon tank you might be only able to use 9 gallons of it (as an example)

See tank diagram in this article

http://ts.nist.gov/ts/htdocs/230/235/archive/B-014.pdf

Also the 'rubbish' sediment in the fuel generally sinks to the bottom of the tank, so if you run low and and your engine slurps up that (dirty fuel) as well, and may have contributed to the engine management light coming on? (guess). I think it's generally advised not to run your tank to near empty especially on older cars, as the engine draws up the crap.

Is it not so much sucking up crap from the bottom (as it would do that anyway ) but more sucking in crap thats floating on the top????????

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links