Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Modified Rover Sd1

Fidgits

read about this before

but why use the girlie Meteor! use the manly supercharged Merlin! if i was in WW2 they'd call me Spitfire

also PPC.... the bloke with the turbo mazdas idea of upping the boost.... drill an increasingly big hole in the actuator line <_< :rolleyes:

i doubt it :lol: if memory services me right they're around 3/4's of a ton! :o (about 750kg)

read about this before

but why use the girlie Meteor! use the manly supercharged Merlin! if i was in WW2 they'd call me Spitfire

also PPC.... the bloke with the turbo mazdas idea of upping the boost.... drill an increasingly big hole in the actuator line <_< :rolleyes:

he does talk about that...

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic...23&t=245424

I think he was worried about the extra torque on the XJ-6 gearbox...

awesome none the less :P

infact reminds me of the bloke who built the project car, based on a caterham style thingy a while back, but used the series 61 merlin which made 1500bhp!

but he didnt use a gearbox to step down the power :lol: just a centrifuge clutch on direct drive from the crank, but what he used fo the diff i dont remember, but a calculated top speed of +400mph on full throttle :o

yeah, you have to admire the engineering, not to mention the lunacy to undertake such a project..

i just find it ironic, practical performance car magazine...

Eee young feller, that takes me back! :wheelchair:

Reminds me of this merlin engined Capri (sort of).

The Beast

yeah, you have to admire the engineering, not to mention the lunacy to undertake such a project..

indeed :lol:

i kinda wonder how it must have felt to fly the Spit and Hurricain hulking that thing about.... erm... all the way up there.... with a few irrate jerrys, its a huge mass in simple terms of engine weight to power ratio, let alone the rest of whats bolted to it

just put that into perspective of the likes of the olympus (as fitted to concorde) at a weight of just over 3 tons, at sonic cruise speed each one produced (roughly calculated) 60,000bhp

(bit of topic... sorry :) )

Eee young feller, that takes me back! :wheelchair:

Reminds me of this merlin engined Capri (sort of).

The Beast

funny snippet on there, quoting superchargers as plural, common misconception, the merlin only had one charger, but the late engine's had a twin speed gearbox running them for different altitudes

the second biggest problem on concorde was protecting those 4 olympus engines from the shock wave...

mind you, wasnt it the merlin that had the initial problems of the rotor tips reaching the speed of sound? they had to shorten the blades to prevent them shattering?

yup, funny things happen when you hit the sound barrier, a temporary void for a matter of milliseconds occurs when the barrier is broken, due to the shockwave disturbing the air. No air in the turbines result in overfuel, and a little too much heat and a phenomena know as ovalization occurs on the turbine blades... a form of distortion... not good as the profiles alter!

and most WW2 planes suffered with supersonic blades, mainly (as you say) the spitfire/merlin and the mustangs, also suffering 'cavitation' when the blades spin so fast that they create a vacuum on both sides of the blade :!Removed!: you can get this on boat props aswell

you missed the best poicture..

9e173d22.jpg

:lol:

"must be slow mate - you aint go no neons or NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

:lol:

Its not the first one he has done either!!!!!!!!!!!

Very cool :D

:drool: DROOOL :drool:

Its insane ....but then it seems like such a great idea.....

*runs off to call me a psychiatrist

i was just abouut to mention that :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links