Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie And My Cars

ADI Paul

Hiya All,

I've just bought a 1994 Carina 2.0 litre Executive Hatchback. I'll be using it as my daily driver whilst my classic Series II Daimler Double Six Vanden Plas undergoes some work during the summer/autumn. Hoping to take delivery of the Carina on Monday, so I'll get some pics up on the Daimler web site in my signature.

I've done a bit of research on the Carinas and decided that it fills the bill nicely. The 2 litre's performance in a straight line is approaching/better than some smaller engined Jaguars?Daimlers. It's also comfortable for a 6' 3" decrepid like me. They're reliable and the fuel consumption compared to my 5.3 litre V12 is a relief!

I'm off now to put a couple of questions about the car in the Family/Carina forum.

Haylo and welcome :D

Exact same car as us, and shes been serving the family well for the last 12yrs....

Boro Sera ( I wont shorten it to BS :D )

The Carina, or the Daimler?

Rach

:lol:

Whatever... I think they're both good choices!

Bora Sera... interesting little car you got. Never seen one before. It's gotta have a/c with all that glass over your head :eek:

Rach... trouble is, my Carina has served someone else for 12 years - hoping for a few more :unsure:

Welcome to the Club :thumbsup:

And im sure your Carina will keep going for at least another 12 years ;) :yes:

Boro Sera ( I wont shorten it to BS :D )

Arguably you'd probably be fairly close to the mark though :P

I was referring to the Daimler. I love the old cars. It's just a shame that the V12 was so tempramental. All the one's i've encountered had the V12 safely stored in the garage and a Range Rover V8 lump fitted for general use.

Bora Sera... interesting little car you got. Never seen one before. It's gotta have a/c with all that glass over your head :eek:

Aye, it's like a greenhouse when the sun hits it. Aircon and Roof Blinds are a necessity really. Super little car though - or it was before I took it to bits........ hopefully it still will be when it's back on the road properly again.

I was referring to the Daimler. I love the old cars. It's just a shame that the V12 was so tempramental. All the one's i've encountered had the V12 safely stored in the garage and a Range Rover V8 lump fitted for general use.

The V12 engine is basically an extremely reliable engine - 200k miles easy, probably far more. The problems were the bits attached to the engine - old distributors, radiators, and ignition modules. With the help of forums like this the problems are now well documented and easily fixed. My car is now thoroughly dependable after sorting these items - I had no hesitation in hooking up my caravan and doing a 2 week round trip of 870+ miles to do some classic car shows - I wouldn't dream of putting a V8 in there!

The car did run bad when I first got it. I couldn't have fixed it without the superb internet resources that are available these days. That's why we've gotta support forums like this. I hope that my future Carina experiences will help others when I get stuck in to the car. I think the pinking I heard on the test drive will be my first job.

Boro Sera, hope you get your car back together - bet you've got more Windolene than car polish :D

Thanks for the welcome from you other guys'n gals also.

Rach

Carina :D

Rach... trouble is, my Carina has served someone else for 12 years - hoping for a few more :unsure:

Just give her TLC, find a decent scappy nearby incase you need any parts (eg O2 sensor, window motors are usually first things to go), and she'll keep going for many years to come :thumbsup:

Ours has only done 110k in 12yrs, but I know peeps whose rinas have done triple that and they are still running fine :D

A quick update on my Carina 2.0 Exec. purchase.

I phoned the car lot to see how it's coming on as the sales guy said he would put a new MOT on it.

They had to replace the windscreen wiper motor for it to pass ( I thought something was wrong 'cos I tried it on test drive and I knew it would have to be fixed for an MOT!)

Anyway, picking it up Tues. morning and will give it a real test drive.

Thanks Les,

Hey Everybody, here's the first photos of my "new" car:

Carina Gallery

Of course it looks better in the photos than with an eyeball, but it is pretty straight. There's a few minor scratches but no real dents. Judicious use of touch-up paint will help followed by a good T-cut and wax.

Bit o' wax and she'll shine up lovely! :thumbsup:

Welcome on board chap. Like the Daimler too... Only a year younger than me and probably runs better than I do to! ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links