Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Updating My Cv

DefiantFrog

Its been 7 years since I last updated my CV. I've realised over the last few days that time has come to move on to a new company and a new challange.

Only problem is its been so long since I last looked at any CV, let alone mine, I haven't got a clue what is currently fasionable and what is required from one!

:help:

Try here for some useful tips on updating your CV

Alternatively, I'm pretty good at CV's, I dont mind looking over it for you mate and helping you out! :thumbsup:

all i can say is avoid crap like im hardworking, trustworthy etc. They will be looking for that anyway and will expect that of you, dont bore them

I went through this with Ash a few months ago. Just do a search for CV tips/examples. There are hundreds of sites out there - but not all taking the same approach. We looked at loads of things till we found one that stood out and seemed a bit more 'professional' than some. Can't remember where we found it though. Got her a job out of it too.......so there's a result.

Following on from Hou........Don't forget to mention that you speak fluent esperanto and in a past life you were Genghis Kahn.

Matt McNally posted some interesting reading in gold a few months back. Helped me re-jig mine...

A

I've been interviewing job candidates for a few weeks (these are for IT jobs) and I much prefer to see a short summary of the best, relevant things an interviewee has actually done rather than a list of skills.

I guess there are several approaches, but nobody can argue with actual achievements :thumbsup:

Paul.

• 3 weeks later...

most things are covered above

use easy to read font like Arial and not Times New Roman and clear headers

keep to two pages if possible.

depending on the job you also might need some demos and/or portfolio

There are agencies who will check your CV (some of them are free)

If you're going to go through a recruitment agency they are usually quite happy to give your CV a going over and provide a few pointers on how to improve it, after all it's in their best interests to get you a job ASAP.

I can only echo the above really, just keep it clear, tidy and most of all easy to read. I personally prefer to keep a very simple CV with the absolute bare essentials on the front page in order of importance (ie Details, Qualifications, Skills and if necessary Relevant experience), all the nitty gritty stuff like what summer jobs I had at Uni and hobbies can come later. I'm not a big fan of personal statements and the like and I usually put this sort of thing in the covering letter if it's needed rather than clutter up my CV with fancy prose which may well be ignored. Also, I tend to put my name as the title instead of putting 'Curriculum Vitae' at the top of the page.

Other than that, there are lot's of websites out there offering advice and plenty of books available which you may be able to read at the library or careers advisor.

avoid using sub heading like Name, Address, Telephone etc

And never use the word CV at the top of the page as a header :rolleyes: !

People know what it is and the most important thing you want them to remember about you is your name ....... so stick it at the top :thumbsup: !

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links