Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Mk2 Enigine - Which Do I Have?

davidathomas42

Hi, I have been reading different things about types of engines on MR2's and have no idea which engine I have in mine,, to cut out one its not a turbo!

the car is a L reg registered in March 94 but is not the model with the rounder back lights (rev 3 i belive that it) so should make mine the last of the rev 2's??

i thought all these had the same 2.0 16v engine, but last week when I went to the jap scrap yard to get a new upper strub brace as mine has corroded I noticed two different looking engines in two mk2 mr2's.

the one i got the X shaped brace off was like mine and has a big induction manifold ontop of the block that has a plate on there saying toyota or something, and the other car had a much smaller looking engine in there that looked crap in comparison...

after searching websites i see there are what looks like two engines one with just over 150bhp and one with just over 170bhp,,,

so my question,,, can anyone tell me which engine i have,,, how much power is should have had from the factory at the crank and the wheels and am i a total MR2 dummy

sorry its a bit long winded but I figured best to get al the info down.

if possible pics would be a big hepl to point stuff out,, davidathomas42@hotmail.com

119bhp 3sfe engine

filter.jpg

158bhp 3sge rev 1/2 engine

3.jpg

174bhp 3sge rev 3+ engine

dscf0089.jpg

The last 2 engines shown are really good engines, and provide decent performance

All 3 of those pictures show aftermarket strut braces. Although it looks like Dale has retained his original as well as using the Cusco B)

Early L Reg would deffo be the Rev2 3S-GE 158bhp engine unless it's had a swap at some point.

Dale how long a week doe's it take to keep your engine looking so good??

:eek: That engine bay is immaculate! nice work Dale :thumbsup:

hehe thanks for the comments lads :thumbsup: , once its been cleaned up properly, Christine & Paul, it doesnt take long with the autoglym rubber care to give a quick wipe over, and it looks as good again B)

Thanks boys,, mine is the 158bhp one then, 3ge thingy,,,,, I have some bad news though,,,, I am leaving the MR2 circle again,, been out to help a mate find a car today and ended up at well lane turbo near wakefield,, and i bought a 2003 Impreza WRX!!!! its a tool and a half

they offered me too good a price with the MR2 as trade in so could not resist,, I actluy made money on it,, so in short I have been paid to drive the MR2!!!!! obviously theres mark up on the scooby,, but i am happy at the deal

if you ever see a 03plate blue wrx flying past you flashing the lights around sheffield,, that will be me saying hello.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links