Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Private Plates

sotal

Indeed :) Strangely enough the penalty for not having a plate at all is less than for having an illegal one.

C20LET? 2l turbo lump fitted to some chavalier and chavalier coupes. Guess they must be a pretty standard Vauxhall fitment as overgrown chavs seem to like sticking them in Corsas and such these days.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Special Red

• Roytoner

• Kev Mc

• jay dh

well ive just had a quick browse... cant find any ruling on a 'non-numberplate' other than an MOT faliure.... but when it comes to the plate itself (spacing, colour, size etc...), well...... google about crahsed with all the regs it decided to pull up!

As Les points out. In most cases a number plate is a personal modification. Just like a set of 17`s or a carbon bonnet or half a sopwith camel bolted on your boot lid. It`s all relative. And quite rightly special red like the rest of us has an opinion. His opinion on number plates is like my opinion of downforce generating devices on the wrong end of a car - So what. It`s an opinion. Thats what forums are about. :yes::thumbsup:

TBH If no one knows what your plate means its pointless!

All in all I think 'f@gg0t' when I see a private plate! two types of people buy them

1. people with too much money.

or

2. people who want to pretend there something there not.

And for those who do it to hide the age of your car then you should know that there are people like me laughing at you!

Before the onslaught begins this is my opinion and thats all!!

The MR2 above means nothing to anyone but the owner so to me it looks like the guy at halfords must have been p!ssed from the night before when he made up your plate. Like the car tho!

Jay - That plate says 'Chav' to me!

So how do you categorise people like myself who was given the plate as a present ? I dont have too much money and cant imagine what i would be pretending to be....

Indeed :) Strangely enough the penalty for not having a plate at all is less than for having an illegal one.

C20LET? 2l turbo lump fitted to some chavalier and chavalier coupes. Guess they must be a pretty standard Vauxhall fitment as overgrown chavs seem to like sticking them in Corsas and such these days.

Most calibarge owners get annoyed when people break turbo lumps for Corsa's, but truth be told if you want a cheap extremely fast car then there a perfect choice.

The LET engine is one of the best around to this day, and very tuneable its just most have been abused by chav's so a good one is hard to find.

Basically the jist of what Im saying is, if you have to modify a private plate for it to mean something then why buy it?!?! Its illegal as well!

Jay - I can understand the people want them for different reasons but your example was one that attracts trouble and TBH number plates with things like 'GAZ' on just do nothing for me. I can remember my name so have no need or desire to plaster it on my car. The van show previously is funny and a good plate but its still illegal and means nothing when its legally spaced.

The chav comment was more due to the fact the plate was on a Clio!! :lol:

Theres nothing wrong with clios, I had one for a first car. So keep your opinions to yourself all your doing is annoying people ;)

Theres nothing wrong with clios, I had one for a first car. So keep your opinions to yourself all your doing is annoying people ;)

Why come on a forum if you don't want to hear other people's opinions? The good thing about TOC is you get an honest opinion, if you post a picture of your latest mod, people who like it will tell you they like it, people who don't will tell you they don't.

This thread seems to be going round in circles, special red keeps posting his strong but personal opinions, while others seem to bite at his comments then retaliate with more baiting remarks.

I know that I drive a hairdressers car, now fitted with chav exhausts and a personal plate that only the select few understand, but to be quite honest I don’t give a toss what anybody thinks or says, as far as I’m concerned I know it’s not to everyone’s taste as some other cars are not to mine.

Vive' la difference! :thumbsup:

Here Here Les... at the end of the day its someone posting on a toyota forum, with a picture of an ashtrey in their avatar....... Clearly personal taste and validity of opinions are not an issue here :thumbsup:

I had a fair few comments about your car at JAE, and not one was bad :thumbsup:

Why come on a forum if you don't want to hear other people's opinions? The good thing about TOC is you get an honest opinion, if you post a picture of your latest mod, people who like it will tell you they like it, people who don't will tell you they don't.

Theres opinions and theres taking the p.i.s.s, and theres no need for it.

Theres opinions and theres taking the p.i.s.s, and theres no need for it.

Thats what I thought last night.

number plates with things like 'GAZ' on just do nothing for me.

fair enough u are not keen on plates like 'gaz', but its not supposed to do anything for you, its bought for the owner to enjoy, not some random.

you are entitled to think the clio is a chav car, but please explain that when u make the comment firstly

Here Here Les... at the end of the day its someone posting on a toyota forum, with a picture of an ashtrey in their avatar....... Clearly personal taste and validity of opinions are not an issue here :thumbsup:

dont you mean mk1 daewoo nexia?

If you look I said I liked his car but TBH thats got nothing to do with my dislike of private plates. Yes I own an Astra but if TOC is as open minded as you say what difference should that make??? Someone calls Corsa owners Chav's and no one bats an eyelid but when I say a Clio is Chav then Im all of a sudden I'm trying to p!$$ people off!!! How does that work!?!?! I love my Celica and thats why Im here but that does not mean I cant like/own another make and model!

Jaxx - Im not here for a slanging match but I did not buy the Astra because I think its the best handling, fastest car in the world, I bought it as its a mint example that puts a smile on my face as much as any other car regardless of whether the dash is made of recycled Video tapes, and the head likes to drink like a camel!

Crismillencolin - If I saw your plate Id like to think your surname or nickname was 'CIRSY' but if your name is Chris then all Im saying is that I would not have bothered buying it, thats all!

Karma - I accept that the avatar would get me some stick! ;)

..hey i think my plate is cool.......its got my name on it..heard it all before (people with too much money,,,,very chav)...oooh i am beginning to yawn......i have a cool car ,,,cool plate and a very cool chick that drives it.....so there......P.P.

Yeah, the way you express your opinion can have different effects on the way people react to it but there's nothing wrong with having an opinion that's different to every1 elses.

I have to agree with the comment about Clio's being chav cars though, they're in the Saxo & Corsa category afaic.

I have to agree with the comment about Clio's being chav cars though, they're in the Saxo & Corsa category afaic.

There is nothing chav about a clio, you can make it look like a chavvy car but in standard form it is no more chavvy than a yaris etc.

This is what my clio looked like, it was the diesel model and it was cheap to run and did for my commute just fine, end of, nothing chavvy about it.

clio.jpg

Mods, I think this topic is due for closing.

Yep. Bored now. Wanders off to stick pins in wax dolls. :wacko:

There is nothing chav about a clio, you can make it look like a chavvy car but in standard form it is no more chavvy than a yaris etc.

This is what my clio looked like, it was the diesel model and it was cheap to run and did for my commute just fine, end of, nothing chavvy about it.

clio.jpg

There is nothing Chav about a standard diesel Corsa either, your missing the point! But stick a dodgy illegal Plate on it and stick stickers on it(like the one above) and its as chav as any Saxo or Corsa with a dodgy plate and graphics on!

No car that comes out of any factory looks Chav, but any car can be 'chavved up' so to speak.

Max Power do a Haynes manual about how to mod a Clio, how much more chav can you get?

Jaxx - Im not here for a slanging match but I did not buy the Astra because I think its the best handling, fastest car in the world, I bought it as its a mint example that puts a smile on my face as much as any other car regardless of whether the dash is made of recycled Video tapes, and the head likes to drink like a camel!

calm down dear ;) just a bit of forum banter, not trying to slag anything off at all! you like what you like regardless of other peoples opinions.... i like my car but doesnt stop most people at work and my dad taking the mick out of it, persoanlly i couldnt care less and just agree :lol:

well ive just had a quick browse... cant find any ruling on a 'non-numberplate' other than an MOT faliure.... but when it comes to the plate itself (spacing, colour, size etc...), well...... google about crahsed with all the regs it decided to pull up!

Are you sure, I think the fine can be up to £1000 and you can lose the right to the plate

Number plates on new cars need a British Standards number on it, the platemaker name and details.

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/r...ents.htm#thelaw

See loads of S2000 owners with there initials spaced different round here, e.g

S200 OJY Becomes S200O JY

Max Power do a Haynes manual about how to mod a Clio, how much more chav can you get?

Grow up <_< and thats for the first shape clio anyway.

Crismillencolin - If I saw your plate Id like to think your surname or nickname was 'CIRSY' but if your name is Chris then all Im saying is that I would not have bothered buying it, thats all!

I didnt buy it , thats my point . It was a present .

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links