Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Central Locking Failure

kotikeni

MY 1998 TOYOTA AVENSIS HAS FOR THE LAST THREE WEEKS BEEN HAVING A BEEPING SOUND FROM SOMEWHERE AROUND THE ENGINE THIS BEEP HAD A SIMILAR PITCH AS WHEN YOU TRY AND LOCK THE DOOR WITHOUT PROPERLY CLOSING THE DOORS, HOWEVER THE BEEPING WOULD ONLY START WHEN YOU FIRST UNLOCK THE DOORS WITH THE REMOTE AND WOULD GO ON WHILE THE ENGINE RAN UNTIL AFTER TURNING OFF THE INGITION AND LOCKING AGAIN. LAST MONDAY AFTER A LONG TRIP THE BEEPING HAD GONE AND NATURALLY I THOUHGT THE PROBLEM WAS SORTED. ON SATURDAY I STARTED OFF OK LATER ON PARKED AND LOCKED WITH THE REMOTE. ON COMING BACK THE REMOTE WOULD NOT OPEN AND ONLY ONE DOOR COULD OPEN MANNUALLY WITH THE KEY. I HAVE CHECKED FOR THE FUSE AND IT SEEMS ALRIGHT. THE ALARM SEEMS TO MOBILISE AND DEMOBILISE ON THE REMOTE, BUT THE CENTRAL LOCKING WILL NOT EVEN TICK. EVEN THE CENTRAL DOOR LOCK SWITCH ON THE DRIVER DOOR IS INEFFECTIVE. KINDLY ADVICE ON WHAT COULD BE WRONG AND POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS.

The beeping noise sounds like the siren has water in it/short circuit. As for the locking, check the dome fuse under the bonnet or if the interior light unit in the roof illuminates when the door is opened. The dome light assembly was a common fault on early Avensis models. If all is ok, remove the integration relay completely from the fusebox behind the dashboard on drivers side for a few minutes. Reconnect it and try the locks again. If all fails then try reprogramming the remote fobs.

The beeping noise sounds like the siren has water in it/short circuit. As for the locking, check the dome fuse under the bonnet or if the interior light unit in the roof illuminates when the door is opened. The dome light assembly was a common fault on early Avensis models. If all is ok, remove the integration relay completely from the fusebox behind the dashboard on drivers side for a few minutes. Reconnect it and try the locks again. If all fails then try reprogramming the remote fobs.

Thanks for those clues RF. Removing the integration relay has done the trick. Now the central locking works but the siren does not seem to work. Apparently I do not have an owner's manual hence I am not quite sure where the siren is located otherwise if I can locate it then I can deal with it. I am impressed by you.

Take off the radiator grille panel, remove the osf headlight and you'll see the multiplug connector for the siren. Its not too difficult to remove siren. Slacken the 2 10mm nuts either sire of siren but not completely and slip the siren out from the bracket. If you remove the screws fixing the siren together you'll probably find corroded circuitry inside it. off hand, i think they cost around £60 from a main dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

new member, but same fault. Also, am utterly useless with cars/circuitry. Have same problem of key fob/central locking failure as in thread above. Could you please advise what the integration relay looks like? I've got the cover off the kickplate and there's a whole load of wires and am worried about what to pull out?

Many thanks and apologies for stupid question!!

Hi there,

new member, but same fault. Also, am utterly useless with cars/circuitry. Have same problem of key fob/central locking failure as in thread above. Could you please advise what the integration relay looks like? I've got the cover off the kickplate and there's a whole load of wires and am worried about what to pull out?

Many thanks and apologies for stupid question!!

Hi New Member

The integration relay can be accessed by undoing the two screws off the panel that carries the coin tray, driver's side, lower section of the dash board. This will expose the fuse board. On the lower section of the fuse board is a black rectangular box with a multi-wire plug attached to it. Gentlely press the multiplug release pin on its side and unplug it. This relay is also plugged to the fuse board so you need to pull it out completely. Note that there is limted space to mauveur so take extra caution not to snap the clips that help to latch the relay covers together. Leave the integration relay out for a few minutes ( say 10 min.), then refit it back the way you finund it. Once the multi-plug has been fitted ensure your door is closed then try and activate your locking system. This as far as i can go with my limited knowledge. Good luck.

• 1 year later...

> This as far as i can go with my limited knowledge. Good luck.

Well it sure helped me! Thank you for saving me > € 100 at the garage :D

• 7 months later...
> This as far as i can go with my limited knowledge. Good luck.

Well it sure helped me! Thank you for saving me > € 100 at the garage :D

Hey guys - on my avensis - the interior lights, boot light / central locking and dashboard time clock all stopped working when I tried to replace the interior switched light. Is this a fuse? and if so where is it and where do I get one from?

Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links