Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Caliper Confusion

J&A

Hope someone can help me with a problem I'm having rebuilding my brakes. Basically i'm in the process of dismantling my Rev.A (Scrap due to floor pan rot) and putting the decent parts on mt Rev.B

I want to put the nearly new calipers from the A onto the B but I'm unsure about compatibility. I know that the mounting plates are different to take account of the discs larger diameter on the B, but seeing as how the disc thickness remains constant does this mean the earlier calipers (If there is such a thing- many catalogues fail to differentiate) will be suitable?

you will need to swap both calipers and discs.

you will need the 15" wheels putting onto the bigger calipers too, the stock 14" wheels wont fit anymore.

i take it you are swapping brakes from a 1991 mr2 rev 1 and a 1992 rev 2 onwards mr2.

i take it you are swapping brakes from a 1991 mr2 rev 1 and a 1992 rev 2 onwards mr2.

Says Mk 1 in the title, 1991 and 1992 are Mk 2's arent they?

yes they are , so what would be rev a and b , did they make more revisions of the mark 1 . i dunno ???

I think this was answered for you over on IMOC.

You can use the 1a calipers as they are the same, but you'll need to retain the bracket from the 1b setup as the discs are a larger diameter and they are located slightly differently to allow for this.

You can get caliper refurb kits for not much and refurb the 1b calipers, keeping them for spares as they are renound (sp?) for binding.

GT4 Booster, there are many differences in the MK1 that the majority of people are unaware of. But it's basically split into two - 1a and 1b. There are also "crosover" cars which had whatever bits were in the factory thrown onto them - so they had a right mix. There are over 200 differences between the 1a and 1b.

There are over 200 differences between the 1a and 1b.

well that's just dandy for owners then aint it. :ffs:

There are over 200 differences between the 1a and 1b.

well that's just dandy for owners then aint it. :ffs:

Not really, most are cosmetic, but all are covered in a sticky over on IMOC. Most of the parts are interchangeable, but many also aren't - ones gotta keep on ones toes, especially when ordering/buying bits :P

The main influence in the change came when Toyota realised there was more potential from the car and planned the Supercharger, so a fair bit had to be shifted around to accomodate the extra bits B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links