Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Turbo Help

dave4757

Hi guys,

I'll try to keep this short

My 1993 Mr2 has a naggered turbo and I left it in with a mechanic to fit a complete XS Power turbo kit.

The mechanic messed me about for weeks saying parts hadn’t come yet and all sorts of problems.

He also said the manifold didn’t fit and he had to send it back. I also had to give him a substantial deposit!!!

After 6 weeks, and different excuses every time, I had to go and lift the car, and to my astonishment not a single nut had been turned.

Personally I don’t think he even ordered the kit; and I heard a lot of very bad reports about him; unfortunately after I had left my pride and joy in to him. I have bought an intercooler from xs-power and found it came really quickly and was of a very high standard.

I am now going to order and install this kit myself. Just want to run it past a few experts like yourselves first

1. Would you recommend an XS Power kit [it is very appealing as it is affordable and within my budget]

2. Anyone on here installed one??

3. Do i need any other mods to run say 1bar on the new kit. [i have gredy boost controller, uprated xspower intercooler and full exhausest system] - i don't want to go crazy and spend thousands on internals, just want to make the best of my unfortunate turbo situation

4. Whats the best induction kit hks? apexi? - i would ideally like one with a polised stainless steel pipe coming from turbo to induction ; will i have to get this made

Sorry for so much info guys; i have lost a lot of confidence lately dealing with this fiasco; and i just want some reassurance

Thanks in advacne ,

Regards

David

mmr2_2.jpgyself

if your fitting any aftermarket turbo you would be advised of getting a programmable ecu too (apexi power FC, ETC) not only to get the best from it but also to make sure it is safe.

unless you have a metal head gasket and ARP head stud i would leave the boost at 1.0bar.

not really heard a lot about the XS power kit but there down pipes are of ok quality and can have some fitting issues as can the exhaust manifold they do. as long as your prepared to make a few mods to the kit to get a good fit then it should be ok.

let us know get on

if your fitting any aftermarket turbo you would be advised of getting a programmable ecu too (apexi power FC, ETC) not only to get the best from it but also to make sure it is safe.

unless you have a metal head gasket and ARP head stud i would leave the boost at 1.0bar.

not really heard a lot about the XS power kit but there down pipes are of ok quality and can have some fitting issues as can the exhaust manifold they do. as long as your prepared to make a few mods to the kit to get a good fit then it should be ok.

let us know get on

Thankyou for your reply

Any help and advise is much appreciated!!

I am no mechanic by any means - actually an IT guy - but i know i'll be able to fit the turbo kit no problem (well u know what i mean)

Fitting a head gasket through may be out of my depth - i wouldn't like to end up with nothing.

Will this turbo kit be ok though if i use my greddy profec b spec 2 , FPR etc and have it setup properly on the rollers. I don't want to do any major engine work unless its essential. What boost could i run without compromising the safety of the engine.

Cheers Guys

Dave

yep as long as you have it all set up on the roller you should be fine, though there are no guarantees, mine was all correctly mapped and i still cracked my block (had something to do with the 470bhp :P) but yes you should be fine

as for boost the HG is your weak link you could run 1.1 bar but you would need to be ready to do the HG when it goes. 0.9-1.0 bar should be ok though

Thankyou my friend!! :thumbsup:

That's the reassurance i'm after.

470 bhp - that must be an animal!!

I'd be happy with 280-300, like i say just want to make the best of a bad situation

from a little research i've found i can get this xs-power kit and a few other mods for little more than the price of a standard turbo/reconditioned old turbo.

PS - what induction kit u running - i'm also planning to purchase one very soon. What do you think of the HKS mushroom induction [ebay 149.99] or would you go for apexi??

Thanks Again,

Dave

PS - what induction kit u running - i'm also planning to purchase one very soon. What do you think of the HKS mushroom induction [ebay 149.99] or would you go for apexi??

the apexi induction kit is supposed to be the best kit because it gives good suction and still filters well and if you are buying off eBay i think they are about 129.99 so you could save £20 aswell :thumbsup:

i currently have the hks kit on mine but only because thats what it came with on import. the hks kit gives very good suction but is said to have poor filtration.

Hi again.

Was just researching on the web about xs power products?

Seem to be very mixed reports

I have there intercooler and am very happy

Does any here have the same turbo kit.

If so i would really appreciate any photos/info/guides etc

Blitz SUS, no concerns so far.

as for the kit might be worth doing a search on www.gt4oc.com. may be someone there with one

HKS Racing Suction kit. No concerns whatsoever. Just change the filter when you're supposed to, instead of leaving it too long. It should be replaced every couple of thousand miles, which people don't do. At £20 - £30 per filter it's costly to keep changing... but those that don't change it every couple of thousand miles are the ones that give the HKS a poor rating.

Hi again.

Was just researching on the web about xs power products?

Seem to be very mixed reports

I have there intercooler and am very happy

Does any here have the same turbo kit.

If so i would really appreciate any photos/info/guides etc

there are a few coments on IMOC about xspower product that should give an independant view on things and links to other coments on xspower.

LINK

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links