Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fitting Clutch To Mr2

4ageae92

a friend of mine is after buying an early model mk2 mr2 recently and the clutch is on the way out. i've changed clutches on a good few front engined front wheel drive cars by dropping 3 of the mountings and sliding the gearbox out the side but i've heard that this can't be done on the mr2's and that the whole engine and gearbox have to come out together. just wondering if anyone knows if this is true or if it can be done the same way as a front engined car. thanks

Engine doesn't need to come out. Release N/S engine mount and you'll have enough play to do it. Mind the drive shaft seals though. Worth replacing the release bearing and maybe clutch fork while you're at it. The squeaking from the gearbox area when pressing on the clutch is normally attributed to a worn clutch fork.

Like Andy said, it can be done without the engine being dropped.

It took 3 of us to do it using jacks and axle stands etc.... but it can be done!! Miles easier if you had a garage though!!

ya i know awkward job alright especially without a proper lift when your just using axel stands and jacks. i've done a good few clutches b4 so i should b ok. thanks for all the info anyway

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links