Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mr2 Mkii

Nitram

Friends,

I am thinking about buying an early MkII, and wondered if any of you guys and gals could give me some opinions. Last summer I bid goodbye to my Gen 7 Celica to get a more sensible Avensis T4 D4D, but I miss the driving thrills, and even the sleek good looks in the driveway!

In order to fill this void I've been considering saving the pennies and buying an early MR2 MkII (90/91). I've even managed to convince the wife that it would be a good idea!

I have a couple of questions

1. Would I be better to get a cheaper car that needs restoration work, or a pricier one that has been worked on already?

2. Can I insure it more cheaply, as it is not a "main car"?

3. Is the Mk II an easy car to work on for a relative novice - I am happy enough to change oil, brakes, etc, but a clutch or gearbox may be a steep learning curve!!

4. Which is the best option - T Bar or sunroof? (although I think I know the answer to that one!!)

Your opinions / experiences would be much appreciated.

We have a 91 mk2 and love her, They are easy to work on BUT you can't buy a workshop manuel as such,

but you can download for free one for the U.S. model which tells almost all you need to know, don't know about over there for getting parts, but for what they cost over here. I would try to get hold of one that doe's not need alot of work.Ours as a sunroof so no leaks :thumbsup: having said that looking at a T top on Sat/Sun :rolleyes: + You will get alot of help on here, and imoc

Hope this helps.. Paul.

By the way if you get one just remember when to stop buying stuff for her :D (I forgot B) )

56.jpg

43.jpg

i bought my 91 t-bar as a project to keep me busy . it did need work doing to it , but then at 15 years old you will struggle to find a mint one thats cheap and wont need work doing to it . price a clutch change first in the event of you needing it done , i have had quotes ranging from £650 at toyota to eventually £200 off a local mr2 guru . alot of garages just didnt even want my money !!! mr2oc and imoc are loaded with cars for sale and also spare parts are vast and cheap .

rev 3 15" alloys are a good investment for the back end also if do buy a rev 1 .the rear tyres are alot wider for in the wet .

Whats your budget matey? then we can advise you further on what you will be able to afford.

I had a MR2 Turbo for 19 months without any issues.

With regards to the rev 1 rear rubber... All the revisions have staggered setup where the rears are wider... ?

I was budgeting for around the £1000 - £1200 range, as this would be project car / weekend luxury in addition to my own Avensis and my wife's Yaris. I was also concerned about insurance, but if I can inusre it as a classic I rekon I could get it for about £200 a year. I'm not too bothered if it isn't MOT's or Taxed, as I could save on the price there also. I'd prefer a T Bar, and a tubby would be nice but I'm concerned that an import may cause issues with parts and insurance.

Only some parts are a bummer to get on import..

Guy down the road got a high milage black T-Bar non turbo for £1000, its nice.

We have a 91 mk2 and love her, They are easy to work on BUT you can't buy a workshop manuel as such,

but you can download for free one for the U.S. model which tells almost all you need to know, don't know about over there for getting parts, but for what they cost over here. I would try to get hold of one that doe's not need alot of work.Ours as a sunroof so no leaks :thumbsup: having said that looking at a T top on Sat/Sun :rolleyes: + You will get alot of help on here, and imoc

Hope this helps.. Paul.

By the way if you get one just remember when to stop buying stuff for her :D (I forgot B) )

56.jpg

43.jpg

:drool:

Looking good mate... not seen your car in a while!! You gotta drop a turbo engine in there!!

Almost makes me wanna sell the supra, get a rev3 tubby and slap a TRD kit on it!!

Why you looking at that red one?? For the Mrs??

Drop a rev3 turbo engine into the TRD one and I'd have it!!!

Yes it's for her, the trd is getting abit old to take over to Holland it costs over £100 at a time to cover with the AA :eek: the red one will be only that a year :thumbsup:

and then I can play with the white one :drool: (sod of jim it's my play thing) :P :P

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links