Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car Tv's

sotal

Just bought a plain 7" TFT Screen of eBay nice and cheap - just to watch divx files through from a media player hdd.

When it arrived it turned out it had got a TV tuner built in which was a bit of a bonus.

But it didn't come with an aerial. It's got 4 aerial inputs on a little gold box and they also seem to take a standard jack plug like a headphone plug.

The TV works fine on the spot (in the right place) but when you start to move it just breaks up (this is without an aerial)

So I was going to get an aerial, but I just wanted to make sure about what I was getting and if it would work.

I've seen a 4channel Aerial on eBay for £20 which has the right connectors etc - would that keep a good picture whilst on the move?? Or are they still a bit crap whilst moving??

I've also seen a car freeview box for about £50 which comes with a free aerial - would that be a better buy what with them switching off analog soon - and having the advantage of a few music channels etc?

Didn't want to just buy an aerial and be in the same position that I'm in at the moment!

You're always gonna have probs with this I think... Your aerial needs to be pointing at a transmitter, otherwise all you get is fuzz or bad signal. So when on the move its just not gonna work. I have to confess, I have no personal experience of this, but logic dictates my thoughts...

I await to be corrected though!

That was my general thinking. That's why I thought I'd ask!

At the moment it works well enough with no aerial (well I plugged a lead in which is just a 3.5mm jack plug going to another 3.5mm jack plug and I ran that up the middle as an aerial)

So if I'm not going to get much better then I won't bother.

Could just do with some advice from someone who has got one!

But then looking at it another way, if it didn't work why do people make them? They must do something, and for £20 its not a great deal to lose if it doesn't work out exactly as you wanted...?

true, I just wondered if they were meant to be used just whilst you were stopped?

I also wasn't sure if I should spend the extra and go for the freeview as the analog will be switched off one day soon?

Or if I just forget the TV and go back to just having videos play on it??

My dad's car came with an onboard computer with Sat Nav etc on it & that has the telly on it but when you start moving it goes blank, I've always thought it was a safety feature so the driver wont be tempted to take their eyes off the road.

it is a safety feature, your right. Theres meant to be a handbrake connection to turn it off when the handbrakes down!

As for a tv on the move, tbh its pointless watching unless you are still anyway imo

The idea isn't for me to watch the telly - otherwise I'll crash. It does come with a wire you are supposed to hook up the handbrake switch but if you leave it disconnected it just works.

You can however listen to the TV with the screen shut - which is useful

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links