Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

B Position On The Gear Shift

kramaring

I've looked through the manual but I'm still confused as to the exact function of the 'B' position of the gear stick.

It is described as using engine breaking. So is it just using the addition mechanical movement of the petrol engine to slow the car down ?

I thought I read here someone saying that it increases the rate of charge to the Battery and therefore should be used to make the car even more economical. Is this correct ?

Do you use the B position and if so when ? and for what purpose do you believe you are using it.

I thought it was to brake the car (engine braking) when driving down a long hill.

The B position adds extra drag when you are decelerating - same effect as selecting a lower gear on a manual gearbox. It is intended to be used when decending steep hills.

From experience it uses the generator to do this until the Battery is fully charged then it uses the engine. You can tell when it swaps to the engine as the noise level increases and the Battery shows as full.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies guys

From experience it uses the generator to do this until the battery is fully charged then it uses the engine. You can tell when it swaps to the engine as the noise level increases and the battery shows as full.

If this is the case then it would be good practice to using the B position when slowing down at traffic lights, roundabouts etc as it would be helping to charge the Battery more than just braking ?

• 3 weeks later...

From experience it uses the generator to do this until the battery is fully charged then it uses the engine. You can tell when it swaps to the engine as the noise level increases and the battery shows as full.

If this is the case then it would be good practice to using the B position when slowing down at traffic lights, roundabouts etc as it would be helping to charge the Battery more than just braking ?

From what remember reading the B position does not charge the Battery. It is only charged when in D

From what remember reading the B position does not charge the Battery. It is only charged when in D

The Battery is charged in B when slowing down. The batteries are not charged when in N.

> The Battery is charged in B when slowing down. The batteries are not charged when in N.

But is it charged anymore than it would be in D ?

i.e is it more economic to use the cars brakes and B position and then it would be using the brakes and in D position.

will using the B position when slowing down - save me money ?

> The battery is charged in B when slowing down. The batteries are not charged when in N.

i.e is it more economic to use the cars brakes and B position and then it would be using the brakes and in D position.

I try to use "B" as much as possible when slowing down and these seems to charge the batteries more than just braking, this is only from personal observation, so I hope I am not wasting my time!!!!!!

I would be interested what other drivers have found.

From the Toyota salesman, the B shift is used as Engine Braking going downhill and stops wear and tear on the normal brakes. Using B consumes more Battery power as it is using the Battery to do engine braking. You should not use B on flat or uphill roads....

• 1 month later...

> The battery is charged in B when slowing down. The batteries are not charged when in N.

I try to use "B" as much as possible when slowing down and these seems to charge the batteries more than just braking, this is only from personal observation, so I hope I am not wasting my time!!!!!!

I would be interested what other drivers have found.

Why???? using the foot brake will recharge the batteries. It will only swap to disks and pads for the final bit. Don't understand why you would use B. I have found that later / harder braking recharges faster.

I did use B coming out of Torquay towards Exeter at the weekend and I will say that it uses regen until the Battery is full and then switched to engine braking. (very noisy)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links